You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airdrop failed sending from iPhone to MacBook Pro

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to airdrop some pictures from my iPhone 12 Pro (iOS 17) to my MacBook Pro 2021 16-inch (Ventura 13.5.2) but it keeps failing. I can airdrop from my MacBook to my iPhone but not vice versa.

I tried restarting, shooting down, turning on and off airdrop in both devices but it keeps failing.

I'm updating my iOS to 17.0.2 and my macOS to 13.6. Let's see if it helps.

Anyone with this problem?

Thank you in advance :)

iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 17

Posted on Sep 29, 2023 4:23 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 8, 2023 3:31 PM

Since 2 different updates to iOS 17, 17.1.2 I cant AirDrop photos from my iPhone 11 to my Mac desktop. BUT I can AirDrop photos from my Mac Desktop to my phone. just did it a few minutes ago! Also I can share photos to my iPad, no problem! This has to be a software problem and iOS 17!!! And I am holding the phone closer to my computer too! Apple you need to fix this, if it works one way, then it needs to work the other way!!!

10 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 8, 2023 3:31 PM in response to FernandoAraoz

Since 2 different updates to iOS 17, 17.1.2 I cant AirDrop photos from my iPhone 11 to my Mac desktop. BUT I can AirDrop photos from my Mac Desktop to my phone. just did it a few minutes ago! Also I can share photos to my iPad, no problem! This has to be a software problem and iOS 17!!! And I am holding the phone closer to my computer too! Apple you need to fix this, if it works one way, then it needs to work the other way!!!

Jan 16, 2024 5:35 AM in response to FernandoAraoz

I had this issue, having previously had no issues with AirDrop but also having not executed a transfer for some weeks. I too had the same OS versions as stated (up-to-date at the time of writing).

After an Apple Support chat session, the agent mentioned something about "bringing the devices together" - I think they assumed the transfer was between 2 iOS devices.

iOS device > General > AirDrop > Bringing Devices Together

I believe it is on by default when upgrading to whichever iOS release contained NameDrop. I manually & specifically turned OFF the setting because of recent "security" articles about the new NameDrop capability

I had this setting turned ON, specifically because I did a contact transfer a week or 2 ago. And accidentally left it on.

Toggling it off, retrying the AirDrop, and it worked. It does NOT seem to be work as before, where I could simply tap the AirDrop menu bar item to initiate a transfer - this no longer seems to work. Now I HAVE to use a Finder window, opened to the AirDrop location.

The changes (I will not call them "enhancements"!) to this whole functionality has been for the worse in my experience and opinion.

Hope this helps others...

And Apple too, to make these features work better and have a better UI.

Jun 29, 2024 4:43 PM in response to jingo_man

I have the same issue and no solution yet - I came back to using Apple devices after six years - now I am having issues with Apple products. Do you experience the same thing? What happened with that company? The new OS X for Mac Book is terribly glitchy, and the iPhone OS is the same nightmare. Dear Apple, if you continue that trend, who will want to spend twice $ for a Book, iPhone, etc., when competitors will do better every year? If Apple tells me in the next few years that the computer I paid $2k is no longer supported, I will go back to PC and Windows and will never go back to this product line. This hardware is great, but the Apple developers, nope.

Airdrop failed sending from iPhone to MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.