You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HomeKit Home Wrong Location

This morning my HomeKit ecosystem completely broke, all the automations went crazy and I didn't understand why. I then understood why: Apple's "Home" app shows the WRONG home address.

So, suddenly, without sense.

The home location in the contacts card is correct, the home location in Maps is correct.

On the Home app it is wrong and there is no way to change it manually (absurd). I restarted all the devices (aTV, Homepods, iPhones, etc...) and logged out-login on iCloud everywhere.

Why does this happen? how can it be solved? Is it possible that you can't enter the address saved in your Maps favorites on the Home app?

Two things: I've already tried all the wizards and I have no intention of deleting my home from the Home app, I've paired more than 50 devices over the years and I feel sick just thinking about it.

Posted on Sep 30, 2023 1:00 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 26, 2023 4:56 PM

Ok so this is that pretty common issue people are having with where HomeKit thinks there home is, showing it in an incorrect spot.

It seems this has been a problem for people for a while but only showed up for me in the last day with iOS 17.1. When I check a home automation that uses location is set my home location about 500m away even though its correct in contacts.

I found a fix for now:

Privacy > location > system > significant locations Clear history. Reboot phone. Go back to Home and open automations that use your home locations and check where it thinks home is, mine fixed itself.

BUT! Now thats its fixed I restarted the Home Hub that was being used, and it switched to another Home Hub in my house. As soon as it did it thinks I'm not home again so something to do with the address storing on the home hub too. Did the fix above again and it worked again.

86 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 26, 2023 4:56 PM in response to DearSamaritan

Ok so this is that pretty common issue people are having with where HomeKit thinks there home is, showing it in an incorrect spot.

It seems this has been a problem for people for a while but only showed up for me in the last day with iOS 17.1. When I check a home automation that uses location is set my home location about 500m away even though its correct in contacts.

I found a fix for now:

Privacy > location > system > significant locations Clear history. Reboot phone. Go back to Home and open automations that use your home locations and check where it thinks home is, mine fixed itself.

BUT! Now thats its fixed I restarted the Home Hub that was being used, and it switched to another Home Hub in my house. As soon as it did it thinks I'm not home again so something to do with the address storing on the home hub too. Did the fix above again and it worked again.

Nov 12, 2023 8:23 AM in response to gjdkeu

Of course. Have tried everything. Multiple support cases with Apple. This is very clearly a software bug hence why none of the troubleshooting steps work. It’s a waste of time. Apple will need to fix whatever this is via software update. The more people that report the problem the higher the likelihood that happens. So if you haven’t, report the issue to Apple Support. They don’t monitor the forums.

Oct 26, 2023 8:26 AM in response to DearSamaritan

Same problem here. When i change the private address in my contact card it actually uses that location also for homekit automation. But after a few days it breaks again. Seems like something is interfering with the contact card and pushing a wrong location into the home app. also, i've noticed the wrong location is somewhere in the middle of nowhere and not always at the same spot.

Nov 20, 2023 1:45 PM in response to DearSamaritan

Hi all, unfortunately I've the same problem and I've not found a solution.

Just to share my experience when I click on Home in my automation it shows on map my Work location.

I've tried deleting and resetting both Home and Work location in my user setting but it had no effect.

In Maps application instead both Home and Work location works as expected.

Oct 16, 2023 12:01 AM in response to DearSamaritan

Myself and a lot of other people have the same problem.

Deleting frequent locations on all phones of the home repairs it most of the time for a few hours. Then it randomly moves the home location again.

It is unusable right now.

Here is a Reddit thread showing the problem existing for a few years now:

https://www.reddit.com/r/HomeKit/comments/114fyjm/home_app_home_location_moved_seen_in_automations/?sort=new

Oct 31, 2023 9:01 PM in response to DearSamaritan

I have the same issue. It reset my home location to 2 miles down the road from my home. Before driving home I changed my home address in my contacts to be associated with school and not home. I drove home and then reset my home address to be labeled home and it was fixed. This will be my third attempt at fixing this in different ways. Additionally for some reason my wife cannot be invited to this home or any home at the moment. Can someone let me know if there is a fix for this. I am in desperate need of being able to invite my side back to be an owner of the home and it always gives the error “cannot complete this operation”. It’s becoming infuriating.

HomeKit Home Wrong Location

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.