You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

USB microphone not recognized by Macbook Pro with M1, Running Sonoma 14.0

My Macbook Pro does not recognize a USB microphone I'm trying to connect (mini-USB to USB-A cable, connected to USB-C input using a USB-A to USB-C converter). I'm now running Sonoma, but the issue existed under Ventura as well.

I have done the following:

1. Gone to Sound under settings, but the microphone is not listed
  2. Ensured the application I want to use with the microphone is allowed under Privacy settings
  3. Tried different USB-C inputs on the Macbook Pro
  4. Turned the computer off and back on again (I kept the microphone plugged in when restarting)
  5. Ensured the microphone is operational (it works on an older Macbook Pro I still have)
  6. Ensured the cable works (I used it on my older Macbook Pro as well)

I'm at a loss. Has anyone else had this issue? Any suggestions, other than what I have tried above?

Thank you.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Sep 30, 2023 7:48 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 1, 2024 2:42 PM

THIS IS ABSOLUTE EXTORTION ! I am so mad right now, how can Apple KEEP tapping people for cash JUST to create content when it's SOLD as a complete unit in the box. I have bought so many cables and adapters- NOPE! I have worked in production for 30 years, LIME GREEN IMACS WERE BETTER THAN THIS! OUT OF THE BOX! Apple - you are the dinosaur in the room here. HUNDREDS spent on hardware, NOT A SINGLE BAR OF VOLUME ... this is so by design, Thomas Edison is alive and well. BEYOND FRUSTRATED!

16 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 1, 2024 2:42 PM in response to TheBulb

THIS IS ABSOLUTE EXTORTION ! I am so mad right now, how can Apple KEEP tapping people for cash JUST to create content when it's SOLD as a complete unit in the box. I have bought so many cables and adapters- NOPE! I have worked in production for 30 years, LIME GREEN IMACS WERE BETTER THAN THIS! OUT OF THE BOX! Apple - you are the dinosaur in the room here. HUNDREDS spent on hardware, NOT A SINGLE BAR OF VOLUME ... this is so by design, Thomas Edison is alive and well. BEYOND FRUSTRATED!

Oct 10, 2023 3:06 PM in response to TheBulb

Hello all. I believe I now have a solution for my issue.

I used an Apple branded USB-A to USB-C adapter, instead of the Anker adapter I had been using (which worked for other USB connected devices). Additionally, I turned off VPN, after which my Macbook recognized the microphone. Hope this helps other folks out there.

Mar 1, 2024 4:04 PM in response to karabokatsi

Sorry for this late reply... @Alphonsesque also asked and I have just came back to Support.

The answer is no, it didn't work. Back in January, I bought the adapter (Apple USB-C to headphone Jack) and that just made the 3.5mm headphones work but not the mic (say output worked, input nothing)... next step, I bought the Apple USB-C earpods, both mic and output work...

Last week, I bought two USB-C microphones (R0DE podmic USB and Shure MV-7 USB) - both mics have XLR and also USB and also feedback headphone jacks... Both work, but the R0DE works the best (soundwise)... I have only been able to test them usind GarageBand so far... but unfortunately, this just confirms that compatibility with older mics is a big NO, unless you buy an intermediate (digital) console with USB C support in which you could plug the "older" mics and the console plugs to the MacBook Pro M1...

Other than this thread, I have also googled and most people don't have a clue about the issue or they are not interested... Basically I don't know which mic TheBulb was using to have the issue solved with the Apple adapter... to me, it was a waste of time (priceless) and money...

PS - I just read AGAIN the original post and TheBulb said that he was already using a micro USB mic, but he was Daisy Chaining micro USB to USB-A and then USB-A to USB-C (he just bought an Apple multiadapter or something Apple USB-A to USB-C to replace his Anker)... that wasn't exactly my case.

Mar 1, 2024 4:13 PM in response to EMPTYLIBRARY

Having worked in production for so long, may I ask what are u trying to plug or use? Before buying the Shure and the R0DE mics online, I went to a guitar store (Guitar Center) and the guy working there was just clueless and useless of course... (he really didn't care about my doubts or questions)... In the digital area, there was a Macbook Pro M2 with GarageBand or Pro Tools session running but then nothing was plugged to the Macbook...

I do get why u are so ****** off... I just can't understand if people just don't care about their older absolutely good working stuff or if they just keep buying new things and "more adapters" without complaining...

USB microphone not recognized by Macbook Pro with M1, Running Sonoma 14.0

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.