You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Random Tabs Auto Opening in Safari

Whenever I open my safari it usually opens radom tabs along with the homepage. Also, during my web searches it will randomly open tabs to things like Mac Keeper or the tabs usually relate to whatever it is I'm searching for. The pages being opened also look like they're filled with spam and scams and things like that. I can not figure out why this is happening but it just started maybe a few months ago. I've had my MacBook since 2012

Posted on Oct 2, 2023 8:10 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 3, 2023 10:22 AM

If you're experiencing random tabs auto-opening in Safari, it can be an annoying issue. Here are steps you can take to address and resolve this problem:

1. **Check for Malware or Adware**:

- Sometimes, unwanted software or browser extensions can cause random tabs to open. Use a reputable anti-malware or antivirus software to scan your system for any malicious programs. Remove any threats found.

2. **Clear Browser Cache and Cookies**:

- Accumulated cache and cookies can sometimes lead to unexpected behavior in web browsers. Clear your Safari browser cache and cookies:

- Open Safari.

- Go to "Safari" in the top menu.

- Select "Clear History..."

- Choose a time range or select "all history."

- Click "Clear History."

3. **Update Safari**:

- Make sure you're using the latest version of Safari. Outdated software can sometimes have security vulnerabilities or bugs that lead to unexpected behavior. To update Safari:

- On macOS: Go to the Apple menu > System Preferences > Software Update, and check for Safari updates.

- On iOS/iPadOS: Go to Settings > General > Software Update, and check for Safari updates.

4. **Disable Extensions**:

- Browser extensions or add-ons can sometimes be the culprit. Temporarily disable all extensions and see if the random tab openings stop. You can disable extensions in Safari by going to Safari > Preferences > Extensions, and unchecking the extensions you want to disable.

5. **Check Website Pop-up Settings**:

- Some websites may have pop-ups or scripts that trigger new tabs. Safari has settings to block pop-ups. To check and adjust these settings:

- Go to Safari > Preferences > Websites.

- Under "General," check the "When visiting other websites" dropdown menu and set it to "Block and Notify."

6. **Reset Safari**:

- If the issue persists, you can try resetting Safari settings. Note that this will clear your browsing history, cookies, and other settings. To reset Safari:

- Go to Safari > Preferences > Privacy.

- Click on "Remove All Website Data" to clear cookies.

- Then, go to Safari > Preferences > Advanced.

- Check the box that says "Show Develop menu in menu bar."

- In the Develop menu that appears, select "Empty Caches."

7. **Check for Rogue Website Scripts**:

- Some websites may use aggressive scripts to open new tabs. If you suspect a specific website is causing the issue, avoid visiting it or report the problem to the website administrator.

8. **Consider a Different Browser**:

- If the problem persists and you can't identify the cause, you might consider using an alternative web browser temporarily to see if the issue persists in that browser.

If none of these steps resolve the issue and you continue to experience random tabs auto-opening in Safari, it's a good idea to reach out to Apple Support for further assistance, as there may be a more specific issue that needs addressing.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 3, 2023 10:22 AM in response to riiriipat

If you're experiencing random tabs auto-opening in Safari, it can be an annoying issue. Here are steps you can take to address and resolve this problem:

1. **Check for Malware or Adware**:

- Sometimes, unwanted software or browser extensions can cause random tabs to open. Use a reputable anti-malware or antivirus software to scan your system for any malicious programs. Remove any threats found.

2. **Clear Browser Cache and Cookies**:

- Accumulated cache and cookies can sometimes lead to unexpected behavior in web browsers. Clear your Safari browser cache and cookies:

- Open Safari.

- Go to "Safari" in the top menu.

- Select "Clear History..."

- Choose a time range or select "all history."

- Click "Clear History."

3. **Update Safari**:

- Make sure you're using the latest version of Safari. Outdated software can sometimes have security vulnerabilities or bugs that lead to unexpected behavior. To update Safari:

- On macOS: Go to the Apple menu > System Preferences > Software Update, and check for Safari updates.

- On iOS/iPadOS: Go to Settings > General > Software Update, and check for Safari updates.

4. **Disable Extensions**:

- Browser extensions or add-ons can sometimes be the culprit. Temporarily disable all extensions and see if the random tab openings stop. You can disable extensions in Safari by going to Safari > Preferences > Extensions, and unchecking the extensions you want to disable.

5. **Check Website Pop-up Settings**:

- Some websites may have pop-ups or scripts that trigger new tabs. Safari has settings to block pop-ups. To check and adjust these settings:

- Go to Safari > Preferences > Websites.

- Under "General," check the "When visiting other websites" dropdown menu and set it to "Block and Notify."

6. **Reset Safari**:

- If the issue persists, you can try resetting Safari settings. Note that this will clear your browsing history, cookies, and other settings. To reset Safari:

- Go to Safari > Preferences > Privacy.

- Click on "Remove All Website Data" to clear cookies.

- Then, go to Safari > Preferences > Advanced.

- Check the box that says "Show Develop menu in menu bar."

- In the Develop menu that appears, select "Empty Caches."

7. **Check for Rogue Website Scripts**:

- Some websites may use aggressive scripts to open new tabs. If you suspect a specific website is causing the issue, avoid visiting it or report the problem to the website administrator.

8. **Consider a Different Browser**:

- If the problem persists and you can't identify the cause, you might consider using an alternative web browser temporarily to see if the issue persists in that browser.

If none of these steps resolve the issue and you continue to experience random tabs auto-opening in Safari, it's a good idea to reach out to Apple Support for further assistance, as there may be a more specific issue that needs addressing.

Oct 3, 2023 8:39 AM in response to riiriipat

This behavior is indicative of spamware/adware. Could be an obscure app, a safari extension, or custom search behavior that you were tricked in to applying in Safari.

I am not an expert, but would begin by

• checking Safari Extensions
  • check Safari Settings > Search
  • Scan for malware

In the past when encountering this issue I discovered obscure but 'legitimate' signed software was installed, a process I identified in activity monitor. Asking the web for info on that process, it was realized to be spamware i could then hunt down and remove.

Random Tabs Auto Opening in Safari

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.