You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to return iphone , what state has it to be in as regards factory settings?

Hi, i am returning an iphone 15, which has been agreed (prefer diff colour)..But i was not given instructions on what state to return the phone in as regards data. Am i supposed to return it to "factory settings" as i dont want any of my personal data on there. But never got any info on that , just an email from the couriers that they would pick it up at certain time. Is there a few instructions to send it back the way it arrived ? anybody know?

iPhone 13 Pro, iOS 16

Posted on Oct 3, 2023 6:45 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 3, 2023 6:50 AM

Anytime you're returning, selling, or trading-in your device, it is advised that you erase all of the data from the device.

You can follow the instructions here to erase your iPhone: What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

2 replies

Oct 3, 2023 6:58 AM in response to Johnner61

Additional to the excellent comments from timdifferent, you MUST make sure you follow the steps to remove the returning device from your Apple ID (iCloud). This allows Apple to recondition the returned phone, and removes any risk it could still try to connect to your data in the future. Instructions are in the same support document above.

how to return iphone , what state has it to be in as regards factory settings?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.