You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New MacBook Pro with Sonoma OS not recognizing WD Passport portable drive with High Sierra OD

I have saved my iMac data (that used High Sierra OS) on a "WD My Passport for Mac" portable drive . I am now trying to place this in my 2022 MacBook Pro with the new Sonoma OS. Unfortunately, it is not recognizing the portable HD. Any suggestions to fix this?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 14.0

Posted on Oct 3, 2023 7:20 AM

1 reply

Oct 5, 2023 7:28 AM in response to rotcrna

Hi rotcrna,

Thanks for reaching out and posting in Apple Support Communities, we'll be happy to see how we can help.

You didn't mention what steps you have tried, so if any repeat steps, go ahead and skip them. We found the following article: If a USB device doesn’t work with Mac - Apple Support. It has suggestions you can try when this behavior happens. We'll list the first two below to help get you started giving these a try.

If a USB device isn’t working properly, make sure it’s connected to your computer correctly, is plugged into a power outlet if it has a power cord, and has any necessary software installed.

Check the power, port, and cable connections: Make sure the USB device is turned on and its cables are properly connected. If your computer has more than one USB port , switch the device’s cable to another port. If you still can’t use the device, contact the manufacturer for more information.
If you can use the device after switching ports, connect another device to the first port. If you can’t use this device, shut down the computer and unplug it from the power outlet. Wait about a minute, then plug it back into the power outlet and start up your computer.
If you still can’t use a device with the port, your computer may need to be serviced. See Find out how to service or repair your Mac.
Check for device firmware or software updates: Make sure you installed the latest software and firmware for your device. Visit the manufacturer’s website for any updates.

Reach back out if you have any questions.

Take care!

New MacBook Pro with Sonoma OS not recognizing WD Passport portable drive with High Sierra OD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.