You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Browser hijacker

My MacBook Air 14.0 has a browser hijack. My normal default is google but it changed to search. I can not delete it in manage search engines and I can make google my default but it only goes to search engine how do I get rid of it and if I need a malware or spyware app what one should I use?

Posted on Oct 4, 2023 7:58 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 4, 2023 10:03 AM

Please read Removing "Search Marquis" / "Search Baron" / etc on your own - Apple Community, and post the three screenshots it describes in a reply to this Discussion.

... and if I need a malware or spyware app what one should I use?

You do not need anything like that.

2 replies

Oct 4, 2023 9:30 AM in response to 4-9

From what you've posted, you're running Sonoma on your MacBook Air, and your default search engine, which used to be Google, is no longer available.

Can you provide more details on what you see when you go to Safari-->Settings-->Search? Is there nothing available in the drop down menu there?

Regarding apps, the only one we recommend folks use is Malwarebytes. It's available Here. You should only need to download/install the free version to check for malware on your Mac.

Other anti-virus, "cleaner", or "optimizer" apps you may run across simply cause more issues than they prevent, so do not install any of them, as you'll soon be back here asking for additional help.

Browser hijacker

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.