You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Data transfer speed mac to mac via Ethernet 10Gbs

I'm working with 2 Macs connected via Ethernet cable Cat6, the 2 Macs are a 2013 Mac Pro and a Mac Studio Max M1, both support 10Gbs and also does the Cat6 cable is 10Gbs, but the max speed in MB I get between this 2 Macs is ~60MB/s

Wifi is disabled on the Mac Pro, so the connection is 100% via cable

This is the max speed when copying files from one to another, and so is the speed Blackmagic DST shows...

I'm wondering if this is because some Frirewall or is just the limit of this Mac to Mac connection.

The only thing is the Ethernet is not a crossover cable, but it is supoused not to be needed..

Mac Studio (2022)

Posted on Oct 9, 2023 7:58 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2023 8:52 AM

crossover cable not needed, all can adapt.

MacPro 2013 features dual ONE gigabit Ethernet ports, not TEN Gigabits as you reported.

From AppleSpec:

Connections and Expansion

• 4 USB 3
      • 6 Thunderbolt 2
      • Dual Gigabit Ethernet
      • HDMI 1.4 Ultra HD

ONE Gigabit is 1,000 mega bits/sec. With overhead, that translates to about 100 M Bytes/sec. If you are getting File stansfers at 60 M Bytes/sec, you are not doing too badly.

do you have a VPN installed? This will wreak havoc on performance.

Depending on your intervening devices, you MIGHT be able to boost the packet size for somewhat (not orders of magnitude) better performance.

¿is this a direct cable connection, or are you running through other devices, a Router or Switch, for example? which make&model?

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 9, 2023 8:52 AM in response to guguii

crossover cable not needed, all can adapt.

MacPro 2013 features dual ONE gigabit Ethernet ports, not TEN Gigabits as you reported.

From AppleSpec:

Connections and Expansion

• 4 USB 3
      • 6 Thunderbolt 2
      • Dual Gigabit Ethernet
      • HDMI 1.4 Ultra HD

ONE Gigabit is 1,000 mega bits/sec. With overhead, that translates to about 100 M Bytes/sec. If you are getting File stansfers at 60 M Bytes/sec, you are not doing too badly.

do you have a VPN installed? This will wreak havoc on performance.

Depending on your intervening devices, you MIGHT be able to boost the packet size for somewhat (not orders of magnitude) better performance.

¿is this a direct cable connection, or are you running through other devices, a Router or Switch, for example? which make&model?

Oct 10, 2023 1:31 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

OMG! you are right, is just 1Gbs 😣

This solve the "mystery"

I dont have any VPN, and is a direct connection with a 1m ethernet cable Cat6

I guess I'd go for Thunderbolt 2

https://www.macworld.com/article/223179/connecting-two-macs-using-thunderbolt.html

"When we tested two new Mac Pros over a gigabit network connection with a standard ethernet cable, we saw read and write speeds of a 10GB file of just below 100 MBps. When we copied a set of smaller files and folders, we saw read speeds of 78 MBps and write speeds of 64 MBps.

We saw an increase in file transfer speed when we disconnected the ethernet connection and used IP over Thunderbolt. Transfer speeds for our 10GB file jumped to a more impressive 241 MBps (write) and 390 MBps (read). The results in the files and folder test didn’t fare as well, with write speeds of just 133 MBps and read speeds of 243 MBps, but these results were still faster than when connected via gigabit ethernet."

Data transfer speed mac to mac via Ethernet 10Gbs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.