You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Special Keys and Function Keys on Magic Keyboard Not Working!

My old magic keyboard from 2013 just died recently, so I bought the latest magic keyboard to replace it. I've managed to add it as a bluetooth device and all the keys, except for the special row/function keys work. Anywhere I search says I should check an option that says 'Use F1, F2, etc. as standard function keys’. However, I don't have a box like that to check at all! I've followed instructions from forums and nothing has worked yet. I've removed my keyboard... re-added it... restarted... I can't adjust my brightness, cannot turn up the volume... and holding down the 'fn' key to do anything is also not working! I don't know what's going on. I am on Catalina at the moment. My 2013 keyboard was working just fine and my special keys worked well too.... HELP. This is way too much work for a keyboard!

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Oct 9, 2023 8:49 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2023 9:11 PM

Most third-party keyboards won't show the setting in System Preferences > Keyboard. But, seeing you have an Apple keyboard, try resetting the SMC & NVRAM.

Reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support

Reset NVRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

8 replies

Special Keys and Function Keys on Magic Keyboard Not Working!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.