You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple introduces powerful new iPad mini built for Apple Intelligence. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrade from Ipad 2020 32 GB storage to Ipad 2022 64 GB storage

Dear community,

I own an Ipad model 8 - 2020, 10.2 inch with 32 GB storage. I use it for movie streaming - Netflix, Disney, etc and web surfing. I don't play games and use intensive apps. Is it an important leap upgrading it to 2022 version? Or keep actual Ipad ?

Sincerely yours,

Claudiu Alex

iPad, iPadOS 17

Posted on Oct 10, 2023 2:13 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 10, 2023 4:26 PM

iPad devices with only 32GB of internal storage are very likely to be an eternal source of frustration. The iPadOS17 Operating System will occupy 10-11GB of your available storage - added to which you will need 4-6GB of available for your iPad to use for temporary space to complete some tasks.

At best, you will have only 15GB of space to use for saving data, files and photos. It may sound a lot, but this really isn't much space.

Choosing an iPad will very little internal storage is often false economy. Whatever model of iPad you choose, you would be well advised to purchase as much internal storage as you can afford - as internal storage cannot be changed, upgraded or extended. The available internal storage is fixed for the entire life of the device. If you run out of internal storage for your documents, photos and other data, you will forever struggle and become a source of frustration. It is far better to have more storage than you need, than to need more storage than you have.

A good rule of thumb is to quantify how much data storage you will need - add a healthy margin - then double it. If you are unable to quantify your data storage needs, it becomes more difficult; whilst I cannot make definitive recommendations, personally I would council against purchase of any iPad with any less than 256GB storage.

Within the Apple Support Communities we see regular tales of woe and disappointment when storage requirements are exceeded, necessitating replacement of the device; by contrast, we never see complaint of having too much available storage. It is relatively easy to fill limited internal storage space; perhaps consider higher tiers of storage as providing room for growth as your needs develop or mature - potentially extending the useful usable life of the device.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 10, 2023 4:26 PM in response to ClaudiuAlex

iPad devices with only 32GB of internal storage are very likely to be an eternal source of frustration. The iPadOS17 Operating System will occupy 10-11GB of your available storage - added to which you will need 4-6GB of available for your iPad to use for temporary space to complete some tasks.

At best, you will have only 15GB of space to use for saving data, files and photos. It may sound a lot, but this really isn't much space.

Choosing an iPad will very little internal storage is often false economy. Whatever model of iPad you choose, you would be well advised to purchase as much internal storage as you can afford - as internal storage cannot be changed, upgraded or extended. The available internal storage is fixed for the entire life of the device. If you run out of internal storage for your documents, photos and other data, you will forever struggle and become a source of frustration. It is far better to have more storage than you need, than to need more storage than you have.

A good rule of thumb is to quantify how much data storage you will need - add a healthy margin - then double it. If you are unable to quantify your data storage needs, it becomes more difficult; whilst I cannot make definitive recommendations, personally I would council against purchase of any iPad with any less than 256GB storage.

Within the Apple Support Communities we see regular tales of woe and disappointment when storage requirements are exceeded, necessitating replacement of the device; by contrast, we never see complaint of having too much available storage. It is relatively easy to fill limited internal storage space; perhaps consider higher tiers of storage as providing room for growth as your needs develop or mature - potentially extending the useful usable life of the device.

Jun 21, 2024 10:03 AM in response to ClaudiuAlex

I’d look at the new 2024 models personally. My kids bought me a new 2022 M2 a day before the release date. Apple didn’t tell them to wait. It’s a fantastic product though.

i have to agree with L.P. Buy as much memory as you can afford. I often am without internet and knowing I have all my files available is reassuring. It also frees up space for the OS updates and apps.

Good luck!

Jun 21, 2024 3:08 PM in response to ClaudiuAlex

ClaudiuAlex wrote:

Dear Mr. LotuaPilot,

Thanks' very much for detailed reply. But, Ipad 10.9 model 2022 is a good choice for next 2 - 3 years ?

Sincerely yours,
Claudiu Alex

If I was in the market for an iPad today, I would not buy one with only 64 GB of storage, unless I was only going to use it for Web browsing. 64 GB would be too limiting (given other options available) if one of the uses for the new iPad was going to be to store a lot of music, photos, videos, movies, TV shows, or games.

In your case, you already own your 32 GB iPad (8th generation) (Wi-Fi or Wi-Fi + Cellular).

You do not need to answer the question about whether it is a good choice for 2 – 3 years today. You can take it a few months at a time. When you think it no longer serves its purpose – or does not serve it sufficiently well when compared to newer iPads available at the time – you can upgrade then.

Upgrade from Ipad 2020 32 GB storage to Ipad 2022 64 GB storage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.