You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine backing up to WD My Passport For Mac

Time Machine on my 2021 iMac M1 running Sonoma 14.0 backs up to a 4TB WD My Passport for Mac that I have used since I bought the iMac. Time Machine backups are made and I can restore files from backups, so setup seems fine but there is one big issue:

If the iMac goes to sleep it stops doing regular backups and when I try to manually backup I get the error message:

Time Machine couldn’t complete the backup to “My Passport for Mac”

The backup disk is not available. Make sure the backup disk is connected or select a different backup disk.

The WD icon is still on the desktop and I can double-click to see all the files but I can't re-establish the connection without restarting the iMac.

Am I the only one experiencing this issue?

Is there a known fix or workaround?

Do I keep restarting my iMac every time I want Time Machine to work?

TIA

Ian Jenkins

Sydney, Australia

iMac 24″, macOS 14.0

Posted on Oct 10, 2023 4:49 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 4, 2024 2:51 PM

Williamfromroswell wrote:

7/4/2024 I have the same problem as Ian so well describes above. I have done the Safe Mode restart and turned the HD to sleep to "OFF". Problem still there. After I force eject it runs two backups then turns the light to the HD off but it is still connected like Ian describes. First Aid does not fine any issues. I have the WD Utilities installed.

I would completely uninstall the WD utilities. They overlap with the built in MacOS functions and hence have potential to cause problems like this. Another user's problem went away when they uninstalled the WD utilities.

12 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 4, 2024 2:51 PM in response to Williamfromroswell

Williamfromroswell wrote:

7/4/2024 I have the same problem as Ian so well describes above. I have done the Safe Mode restart and turned the HD to sleep to "OFF". Problem still there. After I force eject it runs two backups then turns the light to the HD off but it is still connected like Ian describes. First Aid does not fine any issues. I have the WD Utilities installed.

I would completely uninstall the WD utilities. They overlap with the built in MacOS functions and hence have potential to cause problems like this. Another user's problem went away when they uninstalled the WD utilities.

Jul 5, 2024 8:30 AM in response to steve626

Steve, you're correct and it fixed the problem! I removed WD Utilities (took two steps WD Utilities and WD Discovery) and backups have been running for the last 12 hours as I would expect! I did not try that earlier because one comment said it did not fix the problem (and one said it did fix the problem). I am going to follow up with the WD help desk as this seems like a simple fix for them too. WD has spend two weeks coaching me on things to do and they wanted me to send the drive back to them. The drive has 1.6 TB of data so I was trying to figure out where I can put that much data and still do backups! As I reflect on the various posts, I would say that if you have the problem Ian described here is what to do: 1) Delete the WD Utilities completely 2) In Energy Saver Settings: turn "Put HD to Sleep..." OFF and 3) Restart in Safe Mode and again in regular mode. The last two may not be necessary but will not hurt. Thanks for your help!

Jul 4, 2024 1:45 PM in response to ijenkins99

Time Machine backing up to WD My Passport For Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.