You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Emptying the trash... dialogue box hangs endlessly...

Hello,

I have a 16" 2021 MacBook Pro on Sonoma 14.0. It has done this before Sonoma so I know it isn't the operating system. Every time I empty the trash, the dialogue box just hangs there and says it's deleting endlessly. I have to manually cancel the process, and then my trash is successfully emptied. Does this no matter what's inside the trash - tried throwing in an empty folder and it did the same thing. Any suggestions on a fix? I have tried updating updates, clearing cache, restarting,,, can't figure this one out.... Any suggestions for a permanent fix?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 14.0

Posted on Oct 13, 2023 6:51 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 14, 2023 9:57 AM

I don't think I'll be much help but would like to add my story - I started to get this after installing sonoma on my mac mini m2 - emptying trash box sliding left to right & never ending, click x to stop it and it's empty. Then two days after that I started to get a 'photos library copy.photoslibrary' folder appearing in the trash spontaneously. Delete it & it would come back next restart, or even a few seconds after deleting. Got call from Apple who agreed it looked like corruption (I'd already tried safe mode, and restoring sonoma keeping data), so I had to initialise disk, install latest system (in this case it offered ventura which I accepted) then reinstall data from time machine. All ok so far, and I won't try sonoma again for a while.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 14, 2023 9:57 AM in response to WARPED BATTERY

I don't think I'll be much help but would like to add my story - I started to get this after installing sonoma on my mac mini m2 - emptying trash box sliding left to right & never ending, click x to stop it and it's empty. Then two days after that I started to get a 'photos library copy.photoslibrary' folder appearing in the trash spontaneously. Delete it & it would come back next restart, or even a few seconds after deleting. Got call from Apple who agreed it looked like corruption (I'd already tried safe mode, and restoring sonoma keeping data), so I had to initialise disk, install latest system (in this case it offered ventura which I accepted) then reinstall data from time machine. All ok so far, and I won't try sonoma again for a while.

Emptying the trash... dialogue box hangs endlessly...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.