You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad change owner > keeps apps and purchases

The iPad is currently being used by our eldest daughter and I, as a father, manage the iPad via Family setup, so she is a member of our family. Now I want to assign her iPad to her youngest sister but keep all apps and purchases. I have also made our youngest daughter a member of the family. How can I make this change correctly?

A backup is made via iCloud+.

iPad (8th generation)

Posted on Oct 14, 2023 1:02 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 18, 2023 12:13 AM

already figured it out via Google:

https://www.macworld.com/article/334290/screen-time-how-to-log-out-of-an-apple-id-account-when-sign-out-is-unavailable.html

This worked for me. Signed out eldest daughter and signed in the youngest. All apps work with previous purchases.

Similar questions

4 replies

Oct 15, 2023 7:15 AM in response to Chob1234

Hi Chob1234,

If your eldest daughter signs out of the iPad, the apps associated with her Apple ID will be removed. If your eldest daughter is signed into another device (iPhone, Mac, or different iPad), you can use purchase sharing, which will allow your youngest daughter to download apps and play contents that your eldest daughter has associated with her Apple ID. There's more information on purchase sharing in these resources:

Family Sharing. Share your favorite things with your favorite people.

How to download apps and content that your family members purchased

When you set up purchase sharing, everyone in the group gets immediate access to the songs, albums, movies, TV shows, books, and apps purchased by family members who choose to share them. New purchases appear in the Purchased tab in Apple Books, the App Store, or iTunes for each family member. 

Regards.

Oct 15, 2023 10:23 AM in response to MVegas21

MVegas21 wrote:

If your eldest daughter signs out of the iPad, the apps associated with her Apple ID will be removed.

Is this a very recent change, or just a (confusing to me) oversimplification? In the past apps were NOT removed if another person signed in, unless intentionally deleted. However, if there was a new ID on the device and an app needed updating or redownloading then it would not do so under the new ID. The new user would have to either buy them herself or perform the updates if the item is part of Family Sharing.

Chob1234: Note that typically you would follow these instructions before giving a device to a different user. It may be that MVegas's reply to you was assuming that. It is possible to do it without entirely erasing the device but that involves knowing exactly what you are doing. Even then, my comment about updating apps still applies.

iPad change owner > keeps apps and purchases

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.