You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Firewire drives not showing up on M2 Studio

I've been using Firewire drives to back up my 2019 MacBook Pro and (until recently) 2013 Mac Pro. I want to use the same unit to backup my M2 Studio.

For the MacBook Pro I've been using the Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter, with the Lightning Firewire 800 adapter, and that's been working fine, even after the update to Sonoma. The 2013 Mac Pro had an OWC dock that had a Firewire 800 interface.

Everything I've seen online indicates that the Apple Lightning adapter + Firewire adapter should still work. I can see the adapter show up:

Hub

GCE611U/GCE616U V1.1.102

Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter

But neither of the Firewire 800 drives I connect show up. I've verified that both work with the MacBook Pro. How can I get this to work?

Posted on Oct 17, 2023 6:00 PM

Similar questions

14 replies

Jun 14, 2024 4:28 AM in response to marrian1

marrian1 wrote:

Ok thanks.
I'll have to see if it works to daisy chain a drive with eSata connection to a firewire-only drive.

I don't think that will work.

On drives with multiple interfaces (e.g., USB, FireWire, eSATA), the idea is that you can use ONE of the types of interfaces at a time. The point is to allow connecting to multiple types of computer interfaces, not to offer any support for converting one type of interface to another.

You can daisy-chain some FireWire drives using FireWire, and some Thunderbolt drives using Thunderbolt. In these cases, the drive is simply supporting daisy-chaining that is part of the FireWire or Thunderbolt standard.

Oct 17, 2023 9:24 PM in response to direwolf8

How did you format those drives? Using HFS, or HFS+?

Wikipedia claims that

• Starting with Snow Leopard, Apple dropped write support for HFS
  • Starting with Catalina, Apple dropped all support for HFS (making HFS volumes unreadable)

There are other threads on these discussion boards talking about how this creates problems for trying to read data from Mac-format CD-ROMs. Apparently, even if you selected hybrid (Mac + PC) format when creating a CD, and modern versions of macOS would be able to read the filesystem intended for PCs, they see the HFS filesystem and then refuse to read the CD at all.

If you have a Firewire drive formatted using HFS (no "+"), the problems you are having with it might be due entirely to lack of support for HFS, rather than to any issue with Firewire.

Oct 18, 2023 7:51 AM in response to direwolf8

does the enclosure device show up at:

 menu > about this Mac > (System report) > {ThunderBolt, USB, FireWire} anywhere?

-------

There have been several postings from G-Tech drive owners with issues while using recent MacOS. My recollection is that part of the problem is that MacOS no longer includes the appropriate version of some quasi-system disk drivers, like the Promise drivers.

Those issues were resolved by downloading additional driver software from the G-Tech web site. TWO different driver support packages were required, working together. One replaced the stale version the system carries, one added functions for the specific drive enclosure.

Oct 18, 2023 8:31 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

One is a G-Tech G-Raid 0G00274. The support page at https://support-en.wd.com/app/products/product-detailweb/p/85 doesn't show any drivers available.

The other is an OWC Mercury Elite Pro with 2 Firewire 800 and 1 USB 3.0 port.

The G-Tech has two Firewire 800, eSATA, and USB 2.0 ports. The G-Tech doesn't show up when plugged into USB. I haven't tried the OWC on USB.

It does feel like a driver problem, since the hardware has been verified to work with Sonoma on my Intel based 2019 MacBook Pro. The enclosures don't show up in the About My Mac system report anywhere.

Firewire drives not showing up on M2 Studio

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.