You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Setup Failed (-12001) when trying to setup a HomePod

Hi,

apparently I can not set up my HomePod as the setup is cancelled with the error message "Setup Failed (-12001)". What can be done to make this working?

iPhone XS Max

Posted on Oct 18, 2023 1:21 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 18, 2023 8:30 PM

Hey there stefanreiterer,

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities.

If having issues with setting up your HomePod, give the steps listed in the following resource a try: If you can't set up HomePod or HomePod mini - Apple Support

Review setup requirements
* You need an iPhone or iPad to set up HomePod. You can't set up HomePod with a Mac.
* Update your iPhone or iPad. You need an iPhone with iOS 16.3 or later, or an iPad with iPadOS 16.3 or later to set up HomePod (2nd generation).
* HomePod uses the Wi-Fi network* that your iPhone or iPad is connected to. Go to Settings > Wi-Fi and check that your iPhone or iPad is connected to Wi-Fi. Personal hotspots are not recommended.

Keep us updated on the results.

Take care.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 18, 2023 8:30 PM in response to stefanreiterer

Hey there stefanreiterer,

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities.

If having issues with setting up your HomePod, give the steps listed in the following resource a try: If you can't set up HomePod or HomePod mini - Apple Support

Review setup requirements
* You need an iPhone or iPad to set up HomePod. You can't set up HomePod with a Mac.
* Update your iPhone or iPad. You need an iPhone with iOS 16.3 or later, or an iPad with iPadOS 16.3 or later to set up HomePod (2nd generation).
* HomePod uses the Wi-Fi network* that your iPhone or iPad is connected to. Go to Settings > Wi-Fi and check that your iPhone or iPad is connected to Wi-Fi. Personal hotspots are not recommended.

Keep us updated on the results.

Take care.

Oct 28, 2023 11:30 PM in response to adwyth

Hi, the problem turned out to be relatively easy to solve, although it took 3 days of wandering around, asking three different repair shops, complete resets of my iPhone and iPad (which is not a fast and pleasant process at all). Apple cares about our (and its) security. It would be significant more Apple-like (in the name of positive user experience, as Steve Jobs thought) - if somewhere in the Apple support database for users there are descriptions of error codes. I understand that it is not pleasant for Apple to show how many possible errors there are, but still - it is about errors due to user ignorance. But in a situation like the current one, we all suffer - both consumers and the prestige of Apple (I am more and more convinced that many packs of engineers from MS started working at Apple).

At the end of these unpleasant days (for me and Apple), it turned out that the problem was caused by the absence of a password to enter my iPhone. Obviously this affects my Apple ID which feels seriously threatened and unprotected.

Now the two balls have set up without a problem and are now working as a stereo pair. Of course I'll try what happens when I remove my phone's login password...;-)

Oct 26, 2023 12:22 PM in response to Chris_V89

Hi,

apparently I have the same problem – can't set up my HomePod mini (yellow) as the setup is cancelled with the error message "Setup Failed (-12001)". I checked and applied all recommendations from Setup requirements and Apple Support "If you can't set up HomePod or HomePod mini". This is my second HomePod mini. I had no problem setting up my first one (orange) about 3-4 months ago.

What can be done to make this working?

Oct 28, 2023 4:05 PM in response to konstantin6404

I have the same issue setting up a HomePod mini. I get a "Setup failed (-12001) error. I've attempted to register the HomePod using both my iPhone and my iPad; the error is the same in each case. I've verified the Home and the Music apps are installed and authorized. The iPhone and iPad are logged into wifi; and I've removed and re-joined the wifi network several times. Interestingly, my router shows that the HomePod has pulled down an IP address from the router? I have other homePod units installed and they do not exhibit any issue. My iPhone is running 17.1. My iPad is running 17.1... hugely frustrating issue...

Setup Failed (-12001) when trying to setup a HomePod

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.