You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Use iMac as a monitor on a new Mac mini

When the time comes and I retire my 2020 27 in iMac, How would I connect a Mac mini to my Imac monitor? Can I use a USB-C cable direct to iMac. Or do I have to connect another monitor to Mac mini first to see any set up to use iMac as monitor?

Posted on Oct 22, 2023 8:18 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 22, 2023 11:11 AM

The newer Mac’s do not support Target Display Mode.

carefully read > Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

If you decide to go with a Mac mini or a Mac Studio, then you will need aftermarket display(s).

3 replies

Oct 22, 2023 6:51 PM in response to Nikontraveler

+1 to what den.thed posted… apart from LunaDisplay/Duet Display which costs $, cheapest, option would be a tv with an hdmi input then mirroring to tv… better maybe would be monitor with DisplayPort 1.2 or mini Display port… best, I guess would be USB-C ( Thunderbolt 3 monitor) .. most xpensiv… hdmi input tv @ Walmart is sorta cheap

Usb-c to hdmi/displayPort/minidisplayPort could work too…

John B

Use iMac as a monitor on a new Mac mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.