You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos won't play videos on my iPhone 15 Pro that I've taken

I opened Photos on my iPhone 15 Pro and was trying to watch a video that I had recorded a couple of weeks ago. When I open the video, the pause button is available, but the video doesn't play. I can click on the pause and then click play, but nothing. I try to scroll through the video and only see the original frame. If I click the edit button, I can scroll through all of the frames of the video. The videos play on iCloud.com. They also play in Photos on my MacBook Pro. Everything was working the last time I tried to play the videos a week or 2 ago. I even tried recording some new videos, but they won't play.

iPhone 15 Pro, iOS 17

Posted on Oct 25, 2023 6:13 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 2, 2024 10:15 AM

I called Apple support about this. They told me to push the volume up button then volume down then hold the power button until the Apple symbol appeared. This is a hard restart and it fixed the issue

Similar questions

7 replies

Dec 30, 2023 7:55 PM in response to crouchkl

The same thing is happening to me at this moment since I upgraded to the iPhone 15. Every video I take on the phone is not playing even after I record it.

If I click "Edit" on the video, then I hit play, it works.

If I hit "Play" on the video itself under Photos, it will do nothing.

If I "Send" the video via 3rd party app, i.e. WhatsApp, the video plays fine after processing.

I'm not sure what to do - this never happened before... any clues ? Everything is sync'd with iCloud...

Oct 26, 2023 7:16 AM in response to crouchkl

Greetings crouchkl,

It sounds like your videos won’t sync from iCloud to your iPhone. We know how important this is for you, and we will help get you to the right place to find a resolution.

The first thing to try is the steps listed in this support article. These steps can often resolve this type of issue:

If your iCloud Photos aren't syncing to your device - Apple Support

If you need continued assistance, please get in touch with the Apple support team via this link: Get Support.

Cheers.

Dec 30, 2023 11:44 PM in response to kiwitrix

After doing some research and finding almost nothing - I decided to try something:

** Before doing this make sure all is sync'd with iCloud **

1) I turned the "Sync this iPhone" OFF. However, I was still seeing in the previous menu "Photos On" so I decided to restart the phone (got ~35k photos + 3k videos - so perhaps the reason was that it was trying to remove the local items or something ).

2) After restarting the phone, I was still seeing the "Photos On" on iCloud.

3) I turned back ON the "Sync this iPhone" option. It took several minutes for it to respond ( the spinning icon was on )

4) I opened Photos, and after several minutes, it looked like it started downloading everything from iCloud.

5) I tried to play a video and they are working again !!!

Hope this helps.

Photos won't play videos on my iPhone 15 Pro that I've taken

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.