You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When connecting iPhone to Mac, I get option to "back up your most important data on your iphone to icloud" What "important data" is this?

There are two options for backups: Back up your most important data on your iPhone to iCloud" and "Back up all of the data on your iPhone to this Mac."

I prefer to backup to my Mac and encrypt the backup, since I don't like having my personal and important data out in the cloud.

So, what exactly is this "most important data" that is being backed up to iCloud? Because every time I plug in my iPhone to my Mac, this reverts to the default option even though I don't want to back up to iCloud, which is annoying.

Posted on Oct 26, 2023 7:36 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 26, 2023 7:46 AM

Everything is backed up to your Mac.

Everything is not backed up to iCloud.

What does iCloud back up? - Apple Support

I cannot duplicate your report that......Because every time I plug in my iPhone to my Mac, this reverts to the default option even though I don't want to back up to iCloud, which is annoying.

When I connect the iPhone using a cable or Wi-Fi to my Mac, open the Finder and select the iPhone, this is what appears:

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 26, 2023 7:46 AM in response to tyler82

Everything is backed up to your Mac.

Everything is not backed up to iCloud.

What does iCloud back up? - Apple Support

I cannot duplicate your report that......Because every time I plug in my iPhone to my Mac, this reverts to the default option even though I don't want to back up to iCloud, which is annoying.

When I connect the iPhone using a cable or Wi-Fi to my Mac, open the Finder and select the iPhone, this is what appears:

When connecting iPhone to Mac, I get option to "back up your most important data on your iphone to icloud" What "important data" is this?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.