You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrade or not

I have mid 2012 MacBook Pro 15" (2.3GHz Intel Core i7) with 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Startup disk is SSD

Currently on High Sierra 10.13.6

Running fine. I do some audio production and video work using mainly Reaper. I want to keep it running because it has all the various inputs and outputs that I need.

Wondering should I upgrade OS and which would be best version (I think 10.15 is the highest I can go with this machine???).

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Oct 29, 2023 6:09 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 29, 2023 6:31 AM

FWIW, Catalina 15 is 64bit only so you may have to upgrade some of your software. Check with Go64. Since Catalina is no longer supported, you may want to stay where you are until you can replace your Mac.

7 replies

Oct 29, 2023 10:24 PM in response to OlMacBookPro

Catalina might let you run some stuff – the current versions of Firefox, LibreOffice, and the commercial Affinity V2 suite (Photo, Designer, Publisher). Unfortunately, it's not new enough for many commercial applications (the entry point for those will soon be Monterey), and we know for sure that no 32-bit applications will run on it.

It may be best in this case to stick with "the devil you know."

If you'd like a newer Web browser than High Sierra's version of Safari, you could try Firefox 115 ESR. It's no longer getting new features, but Mozilla says they will provide "critical security updates" until September 2024.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/firefox-users-macos-1012-1013-1014-moving-to-extended-support

Upgrade or not

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.