You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

CarPlay wireless setup on a Honda CRV

I have a new Honda CRV-EXL with wireless CarPlay. But I am having trouble setting CarPlay up. Have read instructions in the owners manual and from Apple (the former starts with the car, the latter with the phone). But neither tells me whether I can set up CarPlay and then easily alternate using it with the car's regular Bluetooth / phone connections.

When I go to set it up via the car, when I check a box for CarPlay, it unchecks the car's Bluetooth and phone. So, it appears that they are mutually exclusive--if I want to use CarPlay, I have to stick with that and vice versa. Instructions for starting with the phone seem to indicate the same thing.

What I want is an app or a box for CarPlay in my car, so that if I want it, I can turn it on. If I don't, I just turn it off and use regular Bluetooth and phone from the car. That's how most computer things work. If I can't set it up that way, then I will just skip CarPlay as, in the past, I have rarely used it anyway. (But the CarPlay nav from the phone might be useful sometimes.)

So, does anyone know if I can set it up this way--so that both are available and I can go back and forth with CarPlay as I would with other apps? Or if I set up CarPlay do I have to run everything through it?

iPhone 15

Posted on Nov 4, 2023 2:01 PM

4 replies

Nov 4, 2023 4:34 PM in response to MartinR

Umm, yourself. I know they are both Bluetooth. I am talking about accessing a BT source either via the car’s system (as if I did not have CarPlay) or via CarPlay. But I want to use one or the other, easily back and forth. The Honda instructions do not answer that question. The setup appears to make them mutually exclusive. Someone who has actually set this up in the way I want would be able to tell me how they did it. I suspect it’s pretty simple.

Nov 4, 2023 6:44 PM in response to gdmedia

You can switch back and forth between Honda display and Apple CarPlay display with these icons shown in the video linked by MartinR. Whichever one you see is the one that will handle your calls, maps, etc. They are not mutually exclusive.

I don't have a Honda but the pairing process was exactly the same for Ford, Hyundai and Kia, and so was the operation.

Nov 4, 2023 2:41 PM in response to gdmedia

Umm, wireless CarPlay is Bluetooth. CarPlay & BT are not mutually exclusive.

For reference, here is Honda's video instructions on setting up an iPhone with CarPlay -> https://www.hondainfocenter.com/2023/Accord/How-To-Videos/EX-LHybrid/Audio-and-Connectivity/How-to-Connect-and-Use-WIreless-Apple-CarPlay/

Since CarPlay enables all your iPhone functions (including Phone) on the Honda screen, why would you want to disable CarPlay and just use "plain" bluetooth for your phone?

Nov 5, 2023 10:29 AM in response to Recycleur

I watched that Honda video, which I had not previously seen. It showed how to set it up. I followed the instructions, but halfway through the video, what they showed did not match what was on my car's screen. Apparently, the car software has been updated but the video was not. I still tried the setup, working with the different choices, but when I finished, nothing had been done. No CarPlay icon, no Honda icon, as were shown in that video. Nothing had changed. So, that did not work. Thanks, anyway.

CarPlay wireless setup on a Honda CRV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.