You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Downloaded PDF Files Greyed-Out

In the last several months, I've encountered an issue with downloading PDF files on my MacBook Pro 13” (2018). It appears that these downloaded files are mysteriously disappearing. However, I've discovered that I can access these seemingly elusive files by navigating to my "Downloads" folder and opening them from there, whether in Google Chrome or Safari. What's peculiar is that I can locate the downloaded file, but it appears as greyed out.

For instance, when I download a PDF to my desktop and then search for it on the desktop, it's nowhere to be seen. However, when I access the file through "Downloads," it reveals the file on my desktop within the Finder, albeit in a greyed-out state.

Has anyone else encountered this issue? If so, how can it be fixed?

Just FYI, I’ve already used Disk Utility to repair the disk and tried to fix permissions, but to no avail. 

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 14.2

Posted on Nov 7, 2023 12:21 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 4, 2024 6:03 AM

This is happening to me too and I am on 14.3 normal release.

Similar questions

5 replies

Feb 4, 2024 6:08 AM in response to STBruck92

I'm having this issue too. Sometimes I can see the file in the Recent folder. The path name says that it is in the download folder or whatever folder I put it in.

If I press control + command + period the missing files show up in the folders but they are greyed out.

I can open the greyed out files and I can move them but the continue to be greyed out even if I move them to OneDrive.

I have cleared cache and the problem persists.

Downloaded PDF Files Greyed-Out

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.