You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is latest Quicktime Player?

I'm using a MacBook Pro 14" M1 Max (2021) recently updated to Sonoma OS 14.1 (64GB memory). Quicktime player completely freezes my system when playing iPhone videos. I am forced to hard re-start because no controls are responsive. Screen freezes and nothing works. Quicktime version is Version 10.5 (1170.4.13.1).

Problem seems to have started when I started using Sonoma. Anyone else seeing this and have you any suggestions?

Posted on Nov 8, 2023 6:29 AM

10 replies

Nov 8, 2023 9:06 AM in response to JimmyWhite

The version of QuickTime Player is bound to the version macOS. They’ll update together, if version changes are available. I have the same version. My iPhone recordings play well? I can't replicate your issue.

For macOS troubleshooting, try these:

Let us know the results of these tests. Then we can advise on subsequent steps.

Nov 24, 2023 8:44 AM in response to JimmyWhite

I had exactly this issue: a complete freeze after I upgraded to Sonoma and tried to play back .mov or .mp4 files using Quicktime or TVapp: I identified that this happened only when my external monitor was connected. Since my external monitor (LG) cost over £1000, it's very annoying, and Apple's response has been very disappointing: I reported to Apple and they did little to reassure me that the problem was being looked at.

I have defaulted .mov and .mp4 files to open with a third party video player, rather than disconnect my external monitor.

Nov 28, 2023 1:18 AM in response to nagarjunaseelam

I haven't heard of a fix, but please post if you hear of one! I think the best thing is to contact Apple and report the issue directly to an Apple staff member, so that more pressure is put on the Apple software developers to produce an update to Sonoma.

I'm guessing that the delay in an update, even if they've found a fix, is that there are other bugs they want to take care of at the same time, so rather than updating now, we have to wait until other things have been sorted before the next Sonoma version is released. At least, I hope that's the reason for the delay.

But if anyone knows of a temporary fix, do tell us!

Nov 8, 2023 9:43 AM in response to Urquhart1244

Thank you for the response. I have isolated the problem to my external monitor (Dell Ultrasharp 27"). Videos play just fine with the monitor unattached. When I connect the monitor (with either USB-C or HDMI) the Quicktime freezing problem starts. This is new behavior and seems to have started with the switch to Sonoma. Any thoughts on how I might troubleshoot this problem? Thank you.

Nov 20, 2023 7:23 PM in response to JimmyWhite

Hi! I'm having the exact same issue! I'm using a Macbook Pro 14' M1 Pro (2021) and also recently updated to Sonoma 14.1 (16GB).

I'm using the iPhone to record football matches through OBS and I need to duplicate 4 of the same video to go to the different moments in the match. I've tested the recording output file of both .mp4 and .mov however it hasn't helped.

I have tried using VLC instead, and that has solved the problem. The only thing is that I needed to follow a guide to create an apple script to create 4 duplicates of the video. This has solved the problem of freezing, so it seems it is a Quicktime issue?

What is latest Quicktime Player?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.