You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

i cant connect to my Phillips Hue bridge after ios 17 update

For context, after updating my iPhone to iOS 17 (including any released patches) I haven’t been able to connect, reconnect, or add my Phillips HUE bridge back into my home. I use HomeKit for all of my home automations (timing automations, location automations, etc.) and noticed that they randomly just stopped working after updating. I also got the new iPhone and have been having the same issues I was having with my old iPhone as well.

steps I’ve taken to troubleshoot:

• restarted my iphone
  • updated my Apple TV with matter ratio
  • updates all hubs and bridges
  • reset my router
  • call apple support to assist with the issue, was met with little to no guidance
  • put in a ticket with Phillips hue and my ticket was instantly closed but unsolved
  • purchased a new HUE hub and still am having connection issues
  • restarted my router
  • replaced Ethernet cable
  • deleted and recreated my home in the HomeKit app
  • logged in and out of iCloud

im truly at a loss for what my next step is. I’ve been having problems with this for months and have no solution. I have Amazon echos (purely for voice commands) and they work with my lights still no problem, but my HomeKit handles all of my automations and refuses to connect.

Posted on Nov 18, 2023 11:13 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 6, 2024 1:54 AM

UPDATE:

I can’t not access my HUE bridge still. I have been able to get in contact with Phillips HUE and they claim that it is not a them problem it is an issue with apple’s protocols changing with the new IOS.

The spokesperson with Phillips claims that they are aware of the issue and has been putting in requests with Apple to have the issue resolved in their next update if possible but have no idea when the issue will be addressed by Apple.

I can confirm that all lights respond to my Amazon Echos still and the app runs just fine, however there is still no communication between my HomeKit app and the bridge.

Hoping the update comes sooner versus later since it’s been ongoing for several months now but at this point I have tried everything that Phillips recommends, what people within this forum recommends, and what Apple recommends with no success.

Similar questions

13 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 6, 2024 1:54 AM in response to JacobKrebs

UPDATE:

I can’t not access my HUE bridge still. I have been able to get in contact with Phillips HUE and they claim that it is not a them problem it is an issue with apple’s protocols changing with the new IOS.

The spokesperson with Phillips claims that they are aware of the issue and has been putting in requests with Apple to have the issue resolved in their next update if possible but have no idea when the issue will be addressed by Apple.

I can confirm that all lights respond to my Amazon Echos still and the app runs just fine, however there is still no communication between my HomeKit app and the bridge.

Hoping the update comes sooner versus later since it’s been ongoing for several months now but at this point I have tried everything that Phillips recommends, what people within this forum recommends, and what Apple recommends with no success.

Nov 19, 2023 7:50 AM in response to Vancouver22

So I have done that before as well and it brings up the bridge as if it’s going to pair, but after trying to connect for some time, it finally says it cant connect and the HUE app errors out and the pairing stops. I have also tried adding the bridge using the QR code instead of the app and same issue.

I have also tried simply deleting and reinstalling the app as well just to see and repeating the process, but still no success.

Nov 19, 2023 5:58 PM in response to JacobKrebs

I was hoping this would force the bridge to reconnect again.

Do check the ports on the back of the router to ensure the bridge is plugged into it properly. Check the Ethernet cable is secured as well.

• I know you say you’ve restarted the wifi router but it wouldn’t hurt to do that again. To be sure there’s no issues with your network
  • After that, try resetting network settings on your iPhone: Settings > General > Transfer or Reset > Reset > Reset Network Settings.
  • try pairing the Hue bridge via the Hue App.

RESETTING HOME HUBS:

To be sure the issue isn’t related to the HomeKit hubs;

How many Apple Home Hubs do you have? Just the Apple TV?

On the Apple TV in settings- users & accounts - sign out of the default user iCloud account - restart ATV, then sign in again and set up HomeKit & AirPlay again.

If you also have a HomePod you might need to reset that and set it up again with the new iPhone.

Other than all this there have been some issues with Hue as of late. I had to fix mine yesterday using the instructions I provided in my first reply.

Jan 17, 2024 4:04 PM in response to JacobKrebs

UPDATE:

After months I finally got my HUE bridge working again. Attached below is the link to a Reddit thread that literally saved me from finally giving up and pulling all of my hair out. Long story short, I had an Xfinity gateway 7 router and it is this older model that was causing my issue. I finally got an Xfinity tech out here who was able to hook me up with the new router (the Gateway 8) and then once I set it up. All of my lights came back to life on HomeKit. Please read the below thread for all of the details. Hope this helps anyone else who was having the same issue.

(But now my Sengled hub is acting up.. wish me luck on my next endeavor. Gotta love technology.)

https://www.reddit.com/r/Hue/comments/173hf42/hue_bridge_connectivity_with_homekit_is_currently/

Nov 19, 2023 12:36 AM in response to JacobKrebs

So your Hue bridge was working with Apple HomeKit previously?

if you have the Hue App you can try in that. If you’ve never used the Hue App on your iPhone it will make you set up bridge to give access to the App.

If you already have the App and it’s not helping, delete it and reinstall so you can start fresh with setting up the bridge

Install the Hue App from the App Store

Open it and follow onscreen instructions. It will ask you to set up the bridge, so select yes and go to your Bridge, it will then search and say it found one.

once it’s found you can press the top of the bridge to set it up. Choose to keep data when it asks, or you will lose all your saved data for bulbs and scenes. it’s going to know the bridge was already set up.

This takes only a few seconds.

Next:

in the Hue App

Go to settings

Smart home and tap on Siri & Home

Hopefully this resolves it.

May 29, 2024 3:22 AM in response to JacobKrebs

I was having the same problem using an iPhone 13 Pro Max on iOS17.5.1 where a Hue Bridge V2 I bought on eBay wouldn't do anything when pressing the button when the Hue app asked me to.

I eventually tried an old iPhone SE on iOS15.8.2, downloaded the Hue app (an older version was available) then pressed the button on the Bridge when asked and boom, it recognised it immediately, and prompted to install a firmware update. Once complete, I went back to my iPhone 13 and it allowed me to pair without issue. I'm now adding the lights etc.

TL:DR; Try an older iPhone or older version of the Hue app to allow pairing and install the firmware update.

Jun 8, 2024 5:50 PM in response to JacobKrebs

I can confirm it's phone and update. i racked my brain for days with no success using my iPhone 13 pro. i happened to see this post and remembered i had an iPhone 7 runninf ios 15.2. I installed the hue app and it said i needed an older ver of the app and installed it. went through exactly the same process and as soon as i was asked to hit the button i was connected. this is deffenitly an apple thing

Mar 22, 2024 2:08 PM in response to ctreacy

Things are sold as being compatible with HomeKit but the reality is many smart devices aren’t. Or sometimes they are and then they’re not.

My Hue bridge is the only bridge that will currently connect to HomeKit.

1. Hive hub had been working well with Home & Siri but yesterday my Hive hub stopped working and the replacement hub just won’t connect. It generates one of two error message in Home - ‘can’t connect’ or ‘setup code incorrect’. I’ve tried using both the QR code and the ‘more options’ where you input directly the 8 digit Matter code. I’ve made sure router is only broadcasting 2.4ghz, rebooted it, the Hive hub…
  2. The Powerview hub (Hunter Douglas, controls blinds) won’t connect, giving a ‘setup code incorrect’ error message. I had wondered whether the wrong Matter code was on the hub, but now that the Hive hub is returning the same message it’s clear the problem lies with Home/Apple.

All my devices are running on the most up to date software/firmware and have been re-booted more times than I’ve had hot dinners, ditto router.

It’s really frustrating losing Siri functionality on the Hive as I’ve had for the last 8 years. The Powerview is frustrating but since I’ve never been able to get that working with Homekit (I’m not missing what I never had)

From all my Googling it’s clear HomeKit has had problems with various iOs iterations and they just continue with 17.4.

i cant connect to my Phillips Hue bridge after ios 17 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.