You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Loud fan with low CPU

My Macbook pro has this loud fan issue (which it already had in the first year after I bought it mid 2020). So even when I am carrying out little activity with a low CPU load the fan will randomly turn on and are supper loud. Sometimes it helps when I close down all programmes. The fans will also randomly stop, even when I keep the same programmes running. I am constantly checking the CPU load and I don't see any co-relation between the loud fans and the CPU load.

Initially I was informed that this occurred when it needed an update. Up until this year whenever the fan started to randomly get loud I would see if there is an update and update and the problem would be solved for a while. But recently this doesn't seem to help. I did a SMC reset yesterday and this did not help either. What else can I do?

Best,

Benedicta

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 14.1

Posted on Nov 20, 2023 2:51 AM

6 replies

Nov 20, 2023 4:40 AM in response to zi-nea

I understand your Mac's cooling fans become objectionably loud on occasion, and you are unable to correlate that behaviour to any particular app or process.

For reference, read About fans and fan noise in your Apple product - Apple Support, in which you will eventually find this passage from Keep your Mac laptop within acceptable operating temperatures - Apple Support:

"If your Mac laptop gets warm even when it isn’t doing tasks that require intensive calculations, or if it has fans that run for a long time, use Activity Monitor to check CPU activity. Look for malfunctioning processes that can put a significant load on the CPU and check for unexpected fan use. If issues persist, close and open the lid on your laptop, or restart your computer. ..."

Run Apple Diagnostics, which will exercise the fan and test that Mac's thermal sensors: Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac - Apple Support. Since the problem is sporadic Apple Diagnostics is very likely to conclude "no trouble found" but if it identifies a specific fault, that would be considered a conclusive outcome.

Post a screenshot of Activity Monitor if you wish. Use the Energy pane, or CPU sorted by %CPU to see which apps or processes are using the most energy or are placing the greatest demands on your Mac's CPU when the fans start to become audible. To show the most relevant information I suggest selecting "Active Processes" from Activity Monitor's View menu.

To take a screenshot read Take a screenshot on your Mac - Apple Support. To post it in a reply use the "Image insertion" icon pictured below:

Finally, if nothing helps please write back for additional suggestions.

Dec 1, 2023 8:51 AM in response to zi-nea

I've found some circumstances lately where some processes not flagged as "active" yet were contributing to the workload. You might try changing the View setting the "All Processes and see if any new "hungry hippos" show up.

In the two+ decads I've been here, I've seen enough grief form a premature OS update that I now recommend updating the OS only AFTER the bugs have ben fully evaluated or noting else works. That is selsom a fix unless Apple says there is a know bug in the previous OS version.

Right now it looks like your bug is wearing a Google shirt.

Dec 9, 2023 7:23 PM in response to John Galt

Thank you all for your responses. Very much appreciated.

I have noticed that sometimes some apps will spike the CPU usage for a short moment and the go down again. The fan will continue running loud for some time after that. I have updated it and that doesn't seem to have helpen either. Is there a way to control whether it is a hardware malfunction?

Loud fan with low CPU

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.