You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mouse preference pane missing from Settings- Magic Mouse not working

Recently my Magic Mouse stopped working on my work 2019 MacBook Pro. After fully charging it and it refusing to work or even connect via Bluetooth, I looked for the Preference pane in Settings (Ventura) and found it missing. Comparing the settings app with my personal M2 Macbook Air, I found the Mouse preference pane exactly where I expected it to be, below the keyboard pane. After many attempts to find some advice on the 'net, I decided to upgrade to Sonoma on both machines. Unfortunately, this didn't solve the problem. The Mouse won't connect nor does its preference pane appear in the list in the settings app. I've attached a screenshot showing the missing Mouse setting title. It should be between Keyboard and Trackpad. How do I rectify this?

MacBook Pro (2017 – 2020)

Posted on Nov 26, 2023 8:27 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 13, 2024 11:43 AM

In case someone is using a mouse that is detected as keyboard and thus can't see the Mouse settings, you can open it "manually":

1. Open Terminal app

2. Execute the following command:

open /System/Library/PreferencePanes/Mouse.prefPane

3. Et voilà !

Similar questions

8 replies

Apr 30, 2024 6:54 AM in response to Kelvin170

The Mouse panel does not appear unless there is a mouse.

For example, it never appears on my MBP (where I only use the built-in trackpad), but it does on the Mac Studio (which has a mouse attached).

So that part is not strange. Does your mouse connect to the Air?

I would try "forgetting" the mouse in the Air, and then see if it will pair with the Pro.

Mouse preference pane missing from Settings- Magic Mouse not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.