You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"A motion was detected" notification spamming when watching a show on AppleTV

We have security cameras all around outside my house and a doorbell camera. Camera brand not important or related to this issue and all cameras are working great in Homekit. Recording is perfect. Live view is perfect. Doorbell work great but sometime Talk have issue when outside of home network like on celluar network or on outside wifi service. Still no complaints about that again not the issue.

For notification or alert, We have it set to only notify us using AI detection of people, vehicle and animal on all front cameras, people and package on doorbell camera and only people on all backyard cameras. The AI notification work great so no complaints there. The notification work on all our of Apple devices iPhone, Macbook Pro, on TV connected to AppleTV (which is cool since Doorbell pop up on picture in picture windows on TV) again no complaints there.

Now to our issue ....

The moment we sit down on our comfortable recliner to watch some show on AppleTV, all of our Apple devices including AppleTV itself would start spamming notification between every 2 to 7 minutes or so with a message "The "X" camera has detected motion" non-stop until we power off AppleTV or not watching AppleTV then it no longer spam this "detected motion" notification. The AI notification still works in between spam when there is an actual event by one of the AI detection.

This spam only happen whenever we are watching on AppleTV. It does not happen when AppleTV is powered off (powered off using the Apple remote). We already powered cycle the AppleTV even reset it which does not fix this issue.

We did search and found that many on internet are reporting similar issue with no solution to be found yet so we thought we would just buy another AppleTV and just use it for Homekit hub not for watching TV with it but during our search we discovered that this would not be possible because since iOS 16.3 the ability to select Homekit hub has been removed from AppleTV and any AppleTV or Homepod will automatically become the Homekit hub which we also read it been a problem for many of the users online.

Now ..........

Is there a way to fix this? Since the option to disconnect Homekit from AppleTV. is no longer in AppleTV setting, is there a way to select a fixed Homehub to only one AppleTV which we wouldn't be using to watch TV with? (We been using Homekit since it became available for a long time and we know the option to disconnect it from hub was actually in AppleTV setting but it no longer there.)

Please do not post replies like go contact your camera manufacturer or check the camera app etc because it is working great without any complaints for us UNTIL we power on AppleTV to watch TV then that where the spam "Motion Detected" problem appear until we power off AppleTV and problem goes away again.

If you are experiencing similar what we are experiencing, then please do reply here or start a new thread that maybe someone at Apple Homekit or AppleTV department will take notice and look into it.

I am attaching a screenshot of my iPhone notification below so it clearly not coming from AI detection and in the recording timeline will show a camera icon with a question mark in the middle of it instead of an icon of people, animal, vehicle or package which AI detection normally do.

And yes, I am a Batman fan .....

Apple TV 4K (2nd generation)

Posted on Dec 17, 2023 9:08 PM

Similar questions

10 replies

Dec 18, 2023 8:39 AM in response to TechBill777

Had this happens once about a month or so ago and again just yesterday.

It happened as I was adjusting settings in the home app. I was removing and then re-adding another resident of the house of whom was having issues viewing the HKSV recordings. I was getting a motion notification about every 10- 30 seconds or so. restarted the Apple TV and it finally stopped. Sorry I cant be of more help. Good luck.

Might want to reboot your home hubs and router.

Dec 17, 2023 9:19 PM in response to TechBill777

We would like to add and stress the importance of this function or us.

We are a profound Deaf family and uses sign languages as our main source of communication. This AI was one of the best thing that came into our life to alert us the presence of any events around our house including when someone been at our door since we cannot hear the doorbell or knocking.

We do hope this can be solved somehow because all of our primary communication devices are Apple devices.

We even hope that some day the developer would add light flashing automation where when a doorbell is pressed to flash lights in our home but we know it a wishful thinking.

Thank you for understanding and reading our long post!

Dec 17, 2023 9:37 PM in response to TechBill777

We just remembered something so we want to add this.

This issue will even occur if we just turn on AppleTV and sitting at the main menu. We don't need to be watching something or streaming a show. Only when we power off AppleTV then the issue goes away.

In the notification the AI detection always include a thumbnail screenshot of the event triggered while motion detected does not include any thumbnail screenshot as you can see in our iPhone screenshot in the post above. It does record every motion detected in the recording timeline but when we look at it, there don't see to be any events in the recording which could had triggered it.

Dec 19, 2023 8:12 AM in response to TechBill777

At first I thought I had the 2nd Gen AppleTV but it turn out that I have a 1st Gen AppleTV which really shouldn't made any difference however I went ahead and brought a new 3rd Gen AppleTV 128GB last night for two reason. The new upcoming Matter and Thread support also the HDR+ 4K support since I been reading up that 1st Gen AppleTV have difficulty kicking in 4K on YouTube and my Netflix doesn't seem to be playing the 4K version of video even I am paying for the 4K package subscription.

I removed the old 1st Gen AppleTV and setup the new 3rd Gen AppleTV then pair all my cameras and devices using the new AppleTV as the new hub.

I did not enable the camera AI notification on AppleTV itself yet however all my other Apple devices have the AI notification enabled. AI notification is working as intended and I did watch some shows last night on the new AppleTV and so far no spamming "Motion detected" notification on any of my Apple devices.

Tonight, I will enable the notification on AppleTV itself to see if it comes back or not but so far last night and today, it's all good!

One bonus plus is that the 3rd Gen 128GB seems to support the HDR+ 4K and finally I was able to get 4K on YouTube and Netflix. My TV supports it and I do have the quality HDMI and I couldn't get the 4K to "kick on" so it always goes to standard HD mode until the new AppleTV and I noticed the TV become "warm color" and looked at the Info on TV where I saw 4K!!! even on YouTube! YouTube always had maxed me out at 1080p when in auto.

I didn't like the warm color thou so I changed it to cool color instead in the TV setting. Look a bit better now.

Hopefully tonight after I enable the notification on the new AppleTV that "motion detected" won't be back and spamming again but so far no spam on any of my other Apple devices which is good.

Dec 19, 2023 8:11 AM in response to Dominick Saponaro

This happens to be since the iOS 17 Home upgrade and it happens every day when I am watching something on AppleTV. I did the whole "power cycle, reboot, restart" you name it and it doesn't help a thing. I have no issue viewing any of my recordings or live streaming which works great.

All my Home on iPhone, iPad, iMac Desktop, and MacBook Pro are all playing back or live streaming the HKSV just fine without issue. My only issue was spamming motion detected like you had experienced.

Last night, I replaced my 1st Gen AppleTV with a 3rd Gen 128GB AppleTV and so far it's all quiet on the front unless AI picked up something and it would notify to all my Apple devices (AppleTV notification is turn off for now on the new AppleTV).

Hopefully that getting the new AppleTV what solves my issue but again that may be wishful thinking and I probably just jinx myself typing this LOL .......

Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

May 30, 2024 9:15 AM in response to TechBill777

I have a similuar issue right now. I have a homepod mini as my homehub, and was using 1 logitech circleview camera and the logitech doorbell. So 2 cameras and 1 hub. Recently I tried to get a 3rd camera and once they were installed and set up in homekit, I will get spam with the "X camera has detected motion" with ALL cameras, not only the new one. I kept changing different brands and ended up getting a 2nd logi circle view, thinkin that maybe it was because of a different brand. The issue is still happening and I'm looking for solutions.

I did found this on the apple support site, which makes me ask that maybe if I get a 2nd hub (homepod mini or other) everything will work as it was when I only had 2 cameras.

"Note: If there are more cameras in your home than Home Hubs that can analyze the cameras’ video, video captured from some of the cameras may not be analyzed. Clips are still recorded, but they’ll show , which indicates that the video wasn’t analyzed for specific motion."

"A motion was detected" notification spamming when watching a show on AppleTV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.