You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Equations, Tables, and Special Characters from Word or PPTX Files in Files App on IOS

Hello,

To provide some background, I'm a college student studying mechanical engineering. I've made the switch from pen/pencil and paper to iPad for my note-taking, assignments, etc. I've utilized 2 apps for this: Microsoft OneNote and Goodnotes 6. Now, I primarily use Goodnotes 6. It's been a great switch because I'm able to take materials uploaded by my professor's (such as pdfs, Microsoft Word files, Microsoft PowerPoint files, etc.) and write directly on them.

Unfortunately, I've run into an issue where equations, tables, and/or special characters don't load in the IOS files app properly from Microsoft Word or PowerPoint files. I'm using an iPad 9th Gen. and iPad OS Version 16.4.1.

I typically download these PowerPoints or Word files from a Learning Management System (LMS) called Brightspace. If the file is uploaded as a PowerPoint file, then the file downloaded to my iPad through a web browser is a PowerPoint file. If I have Microsoft PowerPoint, Word, or 360 downloaded, then when I open the file in the IOS files app, the file automatically opens in one of those apps. Here, the equations, tables, and/or special characters are displayed correctly. As shown below.

If I don't have Microsoft PowerPoint, Word, or 360 installed, then the file automatically opens in the IOS files app. I'm unsure if this process utilizes the IOS standard softwares for word documents and presentations (pages or keynote) because it doesn't explicitly opening anything other than the file I'm viewing. See below for pictures of improper loading of equations, tables, and/or special characters.

In another forum online, I saw a possible explanation for this could be because the equations are somehow in the PowerPoint file as a "Shape" and not as an "Equation". Example is highlighted in one of the pictures above. Is this why they won't load? If so, why does this fact make equations, tables, and special characters not viewable on IOS?

I'm also seeking a solution to this issue. Currently, I have to either open in PowerPoint or Word on my iPad then export as a pdf and then open it in Goodnotes 6. However, sometimes the export feature isn't accessible so I have to turn on a windows computer, log in, yada yada, and then save as a pdf and email or upload via Google Drive or OneDrive to my iPhone. This is time consuming and sometimes files don't load properly because of their size. Does anyone know how to fix this?

iPad, iPadOS 16

Posted on Feb 14, 2024 4:17 PM

Similar questions

1 reply

Feb 15, 2024 5:05 AM in response to kbyrnes0056

kbyrnes0056 wrote: If I don't have Microsoft PowerPoint, Word, or 360 installed

Why would you not have those always installed? The potential glitches arising from using Apple's apps to read such complex Office docs are myriad and most likely unfixable.

In general for problems with MS apps, the best place to ask is often their own special forums, e.g.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_word-msoffice_unknown-mso_OPiOS?sort=LastReplyDate&dir=Desc&tab=All&status=all&mod=&modAge=&advFil=&postedAfter=&postedBefore=&threadType=all&isFilterExpanded=true&page=1

Equations, Tables, and Special Characters from Word or PPTX Files in Files App on IOS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.