You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I watch non-Apple purchased movies in 3D on Apple Vision Pro?

I have tons of movies that came with digital copies thru Movies anywhere that I have linked to AppleTv. Now using my Vision Pro I can’t watch almost all the movies in 3D because I own them but didn’t purchase thru Apple. Apple doesn’t let me repurchase the movies, or gift it to myself. If I unlink Movies Anywhere it says itunes keeps the movies that were already synced so that doesn’t help. Any solutions?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Apple Vision Pro, visionOS 1

Posted on Mar 10, 2024 1:40 PM

Similar questions

6 replies

Aug 2, 2024 12:35 PM in response to 13johnjohn

If you have an older OS or a PC (or another account) you can gift yourself the movie. I did this for a few movies that I redeemed on movies everywhere. Also, if the movie you already own that you want to upgrade is part of a bundle you can apparently "complete the the collection" and your new purchase will supersede your old purchase and will be available in 3D (if available in 3D obviously). I haven't tried this but here's a post explaining it in more detail (And a screenshot of version 12.13 of iTunes running on Parallels with the gift option).

Hope this helps! Also if you own any physical 3D discs you can convert them to Apple's spacial format using a recently created app called "3D Blu-Ray to Vision Pro" and then watch them using "Screenlit" or a few other media apps available on the App Store.

[Edited by Moderator]

Jul 22, 2024 11:08 PM in response to Kurtster

You are wrong.

Your past purchases have nothing to do with the availability of 3D movies for the Apple headset.

It is an entirely different format.

The distributors control what they sell and if you have to pay for a different format of their movies.

Nobody bought 3D TVs.

Thats why they don’t sell them.

3D is a fad that they try to push every couple of decades because they run out of ideas.

It goes away quickly because nobody wants it.

Jul 22, 2024 3:47 PM in response to Johnathan Burger

Maybe I wasn’t clear, it has everything to do with Apple.

Apple does not provide a way to even purchase a 3D digital copy, even though they are currently selling the movies WITH a 3D copy included. So, on the Apple Store they advertise a huge list of amazing 3D movies (which, by your accounting of the decline of 3D playback devices, nobody but me wants to watch🙄). Many of the 3D films they sell, I already own digital copies from purchasing the UHD discs that came with codes to redeem.

It is Apple’s store and therefore incumbent upon Apple to provide a good, fair and equitable customer experience for all users, including lifelong ones like me who just invested $4500 in a cutting-edge 3D headset, in part, to watch 3D movies on a giant virtual screen only to find they haven’t figured out a way to offer 3D to everyone through whatever deals they have to make.

It is not up to users to negotiate directly with film distributors/rights holders, it’s up to Apple, just as they did with record labels and movie studios to open the iTunes Store for business. This 3D movie experience is the equivalent of not allowing users to buy or stream Apple Lossless music Or Spatial Audio versions if you’ve ever ripped the CD version of the song - which would be bad.

If they sell and even promote 3D versions of films - they should offer EVERY Apple customer an opportunity to experience them, not just people who haven’t bought the movie previously. The store sees I have a redeemed digital copy of the movie and won’t let me re-buy it at any price with the 3D version.

They need to work this stuff out.

Jul 23, 2024 1:53 AM in response to Johnathan Burger

Either you didn’t read what I wrote or you’re just trying to be rude, disrespectful and unhelpful.

Around 68 million 3D TVs were sold and theater goers still stand in line at 3D cinemas so I don’t care whether you like 3D. If you’re not here to help, please stop wasting our time.

If what you’re saying is true, tell me, how do I purchase the 3D version of movies the 3D movies Apple is promoting in the 3D section of their store for Apple Vision Pro?

There’s no “Buy” option if the movie is already in the library. 🤷🏻‍♂️

If you have any movies in your library that are also offered in the 3D section of the Apple Store using Vision Pro, such as Marvel’s The Avengers, Avatar, or Gravity, and try it on your Vision Pro and tell me what you see.

How can I watch non-Apple purchased movies in 3D on Apple Vision Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.