You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV 4K with Denon AVC x3800 dolby vision issues

Hi all,

I am having trouble passing dolby vision through my denon avc x3800h to my Philips oled 908 tv.

Please see the query I have sent to denon regarding this issue although I am not holding my breath for a response anytime soon.

"My recently purchased denon AVC x3800 is having difficulty passing through dolby vision from my Apple TV 4k latest generation which has all the latest updates.

I have connected the Apple TV to the Bluray hdmi using monster ultra hd m3000 cables which has 48gbps capability and 8k compatibility. The AVR is connected to my  Philips 908 oled TV via the same model cable. 

When I connect the cable directly to the TV Dolby vision works perfectly with all video options available. But through the AVR the apple tv defaults to only 4K hdr 10.

I have reset apple tv and started fresh and ensured the 'enhanced' is enabled in the settings but somehow denon is managing to strip off the dolby vision. I have tried the older hdmi cables which were 18gbps compatible but the result is the same."

Could anyone help please?

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 17

Posted on Mar 14, 2024 9:52 AM

Similar questions

15 replies

Apr 18, 2024 2:52 PM in response to hcsitas

Hi all,

Thank you for all your responses. Can I just say my problem of not outputting Dolby Vision is now resolved. The issue was with my TV. If anyone has the new Philips 908 and is struggling, go into HDMI settings and toggle between two out of four options and voila the Dolby Vision is back with all correct sound outputs.

I will try and answer all queries here.

1. My hdmi cable from my Philips 908 77 inch to Denon X3800 is Monster M3000 5m cable. The cable from Apple TV 4K 128gb latest generation to Denon is the same Monster cable 2m.
  2. I have not tried using the TV remote to operate apple TV as I use harmony one remote which works with absolutely everything. But my Philips TV remote works with the apple tv.

Mar 14, 2024 11:02 AM in response to bridgendmac

It seems that the AVR has some settings that limit the bandwidth.

The TV is listed as having 2x HDMI 2.1 (48 Gbps) [ports 1, 2] and 2x HDMI 2.0 (18 Gbps) [ports 3, 4]. So it matters which ports you use on TV. Connect the AVR to HDMI 2 port on the TV for (e)ARC. The TV may need HDMI configuration per port. See its manual.

The AVR is listed having all HDMI 2.1 ports, but that may also need configuration per port. See its manual.

Set Apple TV for HDMI video output in YCbCr with chroma 4:2:0, especially if HDMI 2.0 ports are used anywhere in the chain. This does not diminish the video quality as all delivery format video is encoded with chroma 4:2:0 anyway.

Jun 30, 2024 9:38 PM in response to bridgendmac

I figured out. I have a formovie theater ust 4k , Denon avr-3800x receiver and apple tv 4k 3rd gen.

K wasn't getting the 4k Dolby vision 60htz. Reading the blogs, figured out that was some software/configuration in HDMI port not letting have the full 2.1 48gbts speed of the port.

Did everything, change HDMI cables and tried every configuration in Denon and apple.

Now finally I found the configuration missing in the projector formovie. Force the HDMI port to be 2.1. https://www.formovie.com/blogs/manual/how-to-enable-hdmi-source-2-0-2-1-mode

It is working now.

Hope that helps.

Mar 19, 2024 1:58 PM in response to bridgendmac

I suspect @Urquhart1244 was on the right track pointing you at verifying the HDMI port-specific settings on the Denon AVR. For example, my Sony soundbar has (2) HDMI inputs, both capable of full-on HDMI v2.1 HDR10+/DolbyVision throughput, but both defaulting to a slower HDMI 2.0 mode. It even posts a warning to only set enhanced mode for ports with capable devices, like the ATV4K, attached.

More often, we hear of Denon AVRs choking on the ATV4K's delivery of Dolby Atmos-encoded audio as uncompressed multichannel LPCM (presumably along with a DolbyVision-level video stream passthrough load).

Apr 18, 2024 2:28 PM in response to hcsitas

I use 1 m High speed hdmi cable.

my issue is the I cannot control the Apple TV from the tv remote control.

i also have another device (formular z11 Pro) and I can control everything from the tv remote.

i don’t understand where the problem coming from.

I even reset the Apple TV but still cannot control, with exception of the volume.

Any ideas what can I do in Apple TV to accept control from TV remot?

Apr 18, 2024 3:29 PM in response to Dietmar63

I assume that you've verified that both the Denon and the Xiaomi have the (specific and well-chosen) HDMI ports involved fully-enabled for 'enhanced color mode' or whatever they call it for HDR10+, DolbyVision, etc. Sometimes these essential options are obscurely placed under various settings menus, and I know many HDMI-switching AVRs and Soundbars say to leave this enhanced option off unless such a device is connected to that port.

Then, unplug everything from power. Power up the AVR and TV before plugging in the ATV4K. Can you get the TV turned on in DolbyVision mode with the Denon's on-screen menu overlaying that, independent of the ATV4K?

Then plug-in the ATV4K - I expect the Denon will auto-switch input to the newly powered-on ATV4K (if not switch over) and go to Settings > Video and Audio > [VIDEO] Reset Video! The ATV4K should try to negotiate the best picture that it and the connected TV can handle. Then, turn on the enhanced options there on that settings screen, maybe scroll down to the calibration trick with a modern iPhone, so that the ATV4K's default home screen is the best display mode your TV can accept. My advice is you let the ATV4K do all the video rendering/transcoding to 4K DolbyVision and leave "Match Content" OFF.

If that fancy AVR and TV let you customize settings for the ATV4K's input, try turning OFF any "TruMotion"-like video processing by the TV and AVR. You basically want a bright dolbyvision-savvy monitor that shows off the ATV4K's video rendering chops. We'll assume that your Denon can handle the heaviest Dolby Atmos soundtracks that the ATV4K can throw at it. You'll find the ATV4K decodes all the Atmos channels and sends it along to the AVR as uncompressed LPCM audio tracks with Atmos metadata - earlier Denon AVRs suffered "audio dropouts" intermittently on Atmos soundtracks with ATV4K - don't know if that's been resolved.

Apr 18, 2024 3:34 PM in response to bridgendmac

bridgendmac wrote:

1. Hi all,
Thank you for all your responses. Can I just say my problem of not outputting Dolby Vision is now resolved. The issue was with my TV. If anyone has the new Philips 908 and is struggling, go into HDMI settings and toggle between two out of four options and voila the Dolby Vision is back with all correct sound outputs.

I will try and answer all queries here.
My hdmi cable from my Philips 908 77 inch to Denon X3800 is Monster M3000 5m cable. The cable from Apple TV 4K 128gb latest generation to Denon is the same Monster cable 2m.
2. I have not tried using the TV remote to operate apple TV as I use harmony one remote which works with absolutely everything. But my Philips TV remote works with the apple tv.

Thanks for the update. Had you previously fed DolbyVision content through your Denon to the Philips from another device, or was the ATV4K your first attempt?

Apple TV 4K with Denon AVC x3800 dolby vision issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.