You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Safari 17.5 on my MacBook Pro freezes intermittently

When using Safari 17.5 I have a couple of issues.

1. Sometime the page freezes. You can browse the document, but it is as if the page is pdf. No links work and the page cannot be refreshed.
  2. Sometimes when scrolling down the page, as content loads, when I try to navigate back to the top of the page, it is blank, and I have to reload the page.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 14.5

Posted on May 17, 2024 3:08 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 4, 2024 2:05 AM

I don't suppose you've found a solution for this? I get the same behaviour and it's only in the last month or so. Exactly as you describe, the page will freeze and be un-clickable/unusable. Often, not even reloading the page will work, it just fails to render (often in the same way). Closing Safari usually works around specific pages but it is usually not long before another page glitches. I've restarted my MBP but this can happen quite soon after opening Safari or sometimes after a day or so.

Safari for (in my experience) the first time is practically impossible to use as it simply disrupts my workflow too much.

This seems to have happened after the latest update(s) to Sonoma, i.e. Sonoma/Safari was working fine until about the last month.

18 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 4, 2024 2:05 AM in response to 2dareis2do

I don't suppose you've found a solution for this? I get the same behaviour and it's only in the last month or so. Exactly as you describe, the page will freeze and be un-clickable/unusable. Often, not even reloading the page will work, it just fails to render (often in the same way). Closing Safari usually works around specific pages but it is usually not long before another page glitches. I've restarted my MBP but this can happen quite soon after opening Safari or sometimes after a day or so.

Safari for (in my experience) the first time is practically impossible to use as it simply disrupts my workflow too much.

This seems to have happened after the latest update(s) to Sonoma, i.e. Sonoma/Safari was working fine until about the last month.

Jun 8, 2024 7:09 AM in response to 2dareis2do

Me too.... but nobody here so far has mentioned whether it's affecting you on other Apple devices?

I have the same problem on my iPhone 14 ProMax as on my Macbook. It's been three or four months on the phone, so I try to use the Reader version if available which works for many things. Otherwise I work with apps instead.

On the Macbook, it's only been the past three or four weeks, since I went up to Sonoma I guess.

May 22, 2024 11:09 AM in response to 2dareis2do

I have run into all of the same problems described above making Safari difficult and in some cases impossible to use. There are other anomalies too - always expanding a video to full screen, zooming on amazon no longer works properly, sometimes forms cannot be filled out properly without refreshing, sometimes refreshing doesn't work either. I've had to switch to Brave or Chrome to complete some tasks. Please fix asap.

Jul 10, 2024 12:28 AM in response to 2dareis2do

I am facing this as well. When browsing content for my work, its very frustrating when this happens as i need to close the tab and reopen the page and scroll back. It has been happening for a month approximately.

I have the latest updates. Same Safari version as you.

I also notice Safari being very slow in some websites such as when using WIXe's editor. When trying that with Chrome everything run smoothely. I have no idea if that has any connection to this problem.

Too bad for the "Fastest browser in the world".

Aug 9, 2024 9:10 AM in response to courmic

My feeling is this is caused by a memory leak somewhere. Perhaps related to the GPU.

The page is completely unresponsive and you cannot even use dev tools to see any logs.

I have noticed this particularly on longer pages where you have to scroll down. The fact you have to open up a new tab just as you are about to reach the part of the page you want to read makes it doubly annoying.

Version 17.5 (19618.2.12.11.6)

Sep 19, 2024 7:38 AM in response to 2dareis2do

Try this and get back to me please!

First run Safari with two tabs open! When the Safari page freezes up close the frozen tab only. Then go to Edit and click on "undo close tab". See if your tab is now working. Thats what I'm doing and it starts working every time. I believe it is in the memory stack. It is not loading the whole page and thats why it freezes.

Safari 17.5 on my MacBook Pro freezes intermittently

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.