You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to drag files from desktop across desktops now that an external screen has been added

This was a question asked previously, but I'm having the same issue - the answer given was not a solution for me, any help?

I have an M1 Studio, I have chosen to "extend displays" and the displays have their own spaces.

I frequently will drag files saved on my desktop across desktops to a full-screen window (i.e. to attach images to email). This has always worked beautifully. Now that I've added an additional screen, I can no longer use this function in the same way. I can drag items to the external screen, but I cannot drag them between desktops on the MacBook. As soon as the external screen is disconnected, the functionality returns.

Mac Studio, macOS 14.4

Posted on May 23, 2024 12:01 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 23, 2024 1:36 PM

if 'Displays have separate spaces', then you can not drag between spaces.

if displays are combined along an edge to form one gigantic Extended Desktop, then you can.

3 replies

Unable to drag files from desktop across desktops now that an external screen has been added

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.