You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

M1 chip with `macOS 10.14 Mojave` update with sonoma 14.5

I'm planning to buy m1 with System on Chip (SoC), Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU with 4 performance cores and 4 efficiency cores, 16-core Neural Engine https://www.amazon.in/Apple-MacBook-Chip-13-inch-256GB/dp/B08N5W4NNB/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top which comes with `macOS 10.14 Mojave`. Can I update this new laptop with sonoma 14.5? and install latest logic pro?

Posted on Jun 11, 2024 10:08 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 12, 2024 7:40 AM

if we decide to be EXTREMELY charitable, the seller could have mistaken MacOS 14 Sonoma (which ALL Apple-Silicon M-series Macs can run) with 10.14 and sloppily looked up 10.14 Mojave by accident.

But users here are finding that mistake glaringly obvious, and it may not bode well for the overall knowledge of the Seller. It could be a STRONG danger sign. Since I am not an Apple employee, I can blurt it out: "This might be stolen!!"

The problem for you (as a buyer) is that if the computer is actually running MacOS 14 Sonoma when you get it, it has NOT been properly prepared for a new owner.

When properly prepared, all the old owner information AND the old version of macOS (which is tagged with the Apple-ID of the person who dowloaded it) would have been removed, and the computer would have the "factory-original" MacOS installed (tagged only with computer serial number). It would NOT be set up. It would be waiting for you (as new owner) to power up and automatically set up from scratch.

If the OLD owner information is still present in any form, the Mac can not be updated AT ALL. It is simply not yours to modify. Tthis is the process:

What to do before you sell, give away, trade in, or recycle your Mac - Apple Support

--------

The oldest MacOS that was 'shipped in the box' with the earliest M1 Mac was Big Sur 11.0.1 earlier versions, as already observed, were Intel 64-bit code, ONLY (no apple-Silicon code at all).

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 12, 2024 7:40 AM in response to N00b-user

if we decide to be EXTREMELY charitable, the seller could have mistaken MacOS 14 Sonoma (which ALL Apple-Silicon M-series Macs can run) with 10.14 and sloppily looked up 10.14 Mojave by accident.

But users here are finding that mistake glaringly obvious, and it may not bode well for the overall knowledge of the Seller. It could be a STRONG danger sign. Since I am not an Apple employee, I can blurt it out: "This might be stolen!!"

The problem for you (as a buyer) is that if the computer is actually running MacOS 14 Sonoma when you get it, it has NOT been properly prepared for a new owner.

When properly prepared, all the old owner information AND the old version of macOS (which is tagged with the Apple-ID of the person who dowloaded it) would have been removed, and the computer would have the "factory-original" MacOS installed (tagged only with computer serial number). It would NOT be set up. It would be waiting for you (as new owner) to power up and automatically set up from scratch.

If the OLD owner information is still present in any form, the Mac can not be updated AT ALL. It is simply not yours to modify. Tthis is the process:

What to do before you sell, give away, trade in, or recycle your Mac - Apple Support

--------

The oldest MacOS that was 'shipped in the box' with the earliest M1 Mac was Big Sur 11.0.1 earlier versions, as already observed, were Intel 64-bit code, ONLY (no apple-Silicon code at all).

Jun 12, 2024 5:56 AM in response to N00b-user

I see another "interesting" listing on Amazon for a "Late 2020 Apple MacBook Air with Apple M1 chip".

The description prominently uses the phrase "Amazon Renewed standards", but the seller is some outfit that I never heard of before in my life. The comparison section shows the CPU manufacturer as Intel (!!!) and the detail section says that the OS is macOS Catalina (!!!), the hard drive interface is Serial ATA, and the optical drive type is DVD. Oh, and it's "The latest MacBook Air" (though it has either a M1 or a 1.1 GHz Core i5, depending on which portion of the listing you believe).

Caveat emptor …

Jun 29, 2024 5:49 PM in response to N00b-user

I just installed macOS Mojave 10.14 onto a M1 iMac using UTM. File sharing and internet works. I used it to access my 12 year old accounting application that only runs on Mojave.

https://mac.getutm.app/

https://walter-tscharf-development.medium.com/how-to-run-macos-10-14-high-sierra-on-mac-m1-arm-silicon-macos-monterey-12-2-8a87c1484ade

Easy steps:

1. Install UTM. Drag drop form dmg image

2. Download config file for 10.13

3. Double click config file. Add Mojave iso to cd/dvd mount point and launch in the Mojave installer.

It will boot from installer.

After installation, set up File Sharing on the M1 and access your files from the virtual machine.

I also managed to get a 10.4 Tiger system running on UTM for my really old PPC apps.

Performance is acceptable.

Regards,

Donald

M1 chip with `macOS 10.14 Mojave` update with sonoma 14.5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.