You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac intermittenly unable to see shared drive on my network

I’ve got an odd issue, that may well be with my Mac but could just as easily be with my network, I’d like to figure out with you fine folks. My situation is a bit unique but I don’t think exceptional.

TLDR:

The problem at hand is that I occasionally lose the ability to connect or even see my shared drive when on my secondary network.

Longer version:

My home network is being broadcast by an ASUS RT-AX86U, I connect on 5g with my work mac, firestick, couple of windows laptops and smartphones. Plugged into the back of this router is a Samsung T9 SSD where I house photos and docs, which are consumable by all of the machines listed above. I’m using ASUS’s samba share utility, see screenshot. I'm able to access and edit docs on the SSD from all of my devices on the ASUS' network and I love that functionality.

However, my "home office" isn’t actually in the home, its in my barn 200 feet away and shielded by a metal roof.

To share internet access from house to barn I’m broadcasting across that distance with a TP-Link AC867 CPE and receiving that broadcast with a TP-Link N300. The former is plugged into my ASUS router and the latter hooked up to a Netgear Nighthawk X6. Both of the TP-Links are plugged in directly to the Asus and Netgear routers.

It is this Netgear X6 router that I’m regularly connected to for work and it works fine. I do see some latency in my setup, a drop in the up/download speeds from the house to the barn but, I’m not a streamer and my todo list is long enough that I’m not getting to sussing out the problem anytime soon.

Recapping with a super sketchy network map, my setup looks like:

fiber > Asus (with SSD plugged in back) > TP-broadcast > TP-receiver > Netgear (wifi)

Now I wrote all of this, mostly out of ignorance. My setup is cobbled together by clumsy hands and a lot of google search results.

The actual problem that has presented itself is intermittent but pretty reproducible. If I’m connected to my network drive inside my house, on the Asus’ wifi, editing files there or whatever and I take my laptop over to the barn, losing the wifi connection with the Asus and gaining it with the Netgear, I can continue doing all of the CRUD operations with my files on my network drive back on the SSD plugged into the Asus; including creating and opening new files.

However, if my mac restarts while not on the Asus’ (home) network and I try to connect to my shared drive while on the Netgear’s (barn) network I don’t see the SSD listed under the mac’s finder/locations/network. I will add, I can connect to the SSD on my phone, while on my Netgear’s (barn) network so I think the whole network is working but not on my mac.

Long shot but, ideas? Or if not ideas, any tools to assist?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.1

Posted on Jun 12, 2024 5:29 AM

There are no replies.

Mac intermittenly unable to see shared drive on my network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.