You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to take a disk image of a perfect OS State with Apps, and keep it for refresh/disaster recovery purposes.

Hi All, I am about to migrate my Windows Digital Audio Work station to a Mac Studio.

When setting up my workstation on the pc, it would take around a week of work to get set up. I would need to get drivers for both internal and external hardware in place, performace tweaks, applications installed, applications configured.

All of my sample banks and project drives are kept on seperate drives and are backed up to One drive, so are seperated from this process.

I was wondering if Time Machine would be able to forfill this role, but when investigating it would seem time machine overwrites the oldest back up, this would mean I would loose my golden backup of the perfect system state.

A way I am thinking to overcome this issue would be to ensure I restore the system back to its perfect system state ahead of the drive filling to capcity. Then reformat the time machine drive and restart time machine on the fresh drive.

I would be interested to hear your thoughts as seasoned Apple users. Do you have a similar use case, and what do you find to most effective approach to be?

Thanks

Posted on Jun 14, 2024 12:14 AM

5 replies

Jun 16, 2024 7:25 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

I think the fundamental difference between Time Machine and most of the others is: Most backup schemes are keeping the ONE backed up state, and that ONE is the Most-recently-saved state.

So when you need the saved state from last week, from just BEFORE you installed 'that add-on that turned out to be so horrible', most backup systems can not help you. "Sorry, that is not available separately, but we DO have late yesterday!"

What Time machine does differently is to save and keep careful track of MULTIPLE saved states. Rather than merging the incremental backup data into the ONE backup, it keeps that each incremental backup separate, identifiable, and able to be combined with the other data it already holds to obtain a Perfect image of your Mac as of, "any date&Time it still has saved".

Time machine saves:

other backups are NOT DELETED, they are consolidated, so that it can still produce perfect, accurate copies as of any date still on hand.

Jun 14, 2024 7:43 AM in response to Nickyjay1

<< it would seem time machine overwrites the oldest back up. >>

Time machine's capabilities are much more complex than that, and far more subtle. Time machine only overwrites very old backups after it has thinned recent backups considerably, and has no more room.

If you are not overwhelming the saved data by including your project files, and you provide an adequate-sized drive, you may never experience old data deletion.

Time machine can save the "golden state" you desire from today. In addition, it saves the state from an hour ago, AND last week, AND last month. It does this by saving changes in database constructed in such a way that ANY backup still contained in its backup set can be restored, completely, in ONE step.

Time machine really shines after you have a Major OOPs, such as deleting something important you did not mean to, or installing something that made a mess, but you did not realize that impact for several days. Time machine can restore to the day before your system got screwed up. OR the week before. OR the month before.

But Time Machine's even more important feature is that it works ay low priority in the background, keeping your backups current. When you need it, Time Machine backup is the backup that got done, because you did not have to set aside a special time just for backups.

Jun 14, 2024 3:48 AM in response to Nickyjay1

In the old days, you could use Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper! to make an exact bootable clone backup. If you made a couple of backups of your "ideal system state" and set the backup drives aside, that would have done a lot of what you are looking for (modulo any DRM, a.k.a. "intentional incompatibility", hassles).

These days, Apple has locked down system security with cryptographically sealed signed system volumes and with security policies that make it difficult or undesirable to allow booting from external drives.

This complicates things, as explained on some of the blog entries / articles on the CCC site. You can still use CCC to make bootable clone backups (of a sort), but the default is now just to make a non-bootable clone backup of your data. With the idea being, I guess, that you reinstall the OS using Internet Recovery if something happens.

How to take a disk image of a perfect OS State with Apps, and keep it for refresh/disaster recovery purposes.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.