You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to reboot in Safe Mode? Holding in the power buitton doesn't work

From what I've read, to reboot in Safe Mode, I just press and hold the Power button until I see startup options appear. When I hold the power button, the computer fails to boot, and my screen remains blank.

Mac Studio, macOS 14.5

Posted on Jun 24, 2024 7:17 AM

8 replies

Jun 24, 2024 10:42 AM in response to Thundersteel

You will likely need to perform a DFU firmware Revive. This may allow the Mac to boot normally, but if it still won't boot normally, then you should at least be able to access the Options screen. You may need to perform the DFU firmware Revive again if macOS failed to boot. I have encountered some of my organization's M-series Macs getting only one chance to access the Options boot screen after a Revive procedure. Sometimes getting the M-series Mac into DFU Mode can be tricky.

Maybe you can give us some more details on what happened prior to needing to access Safe Mode?

Also, what version of macOS are you using?

Try disconnecting all external devices except for a single display and your keyboard & mouse/trackpad just in case an external device is causing a problem.

Edit: Forgot to include the link to the Apple article with instructions for DFU firmware Revive:

How to revive or restore Mac firmware - Apple Support

How to reboot in Safe Mode? Holding in the power buitton doesn't work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.