You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using Mac studio with a MacBook as the monitor.

Ok, I read that you cannot do that. I am on Voices. Which is a site for those interested in voice acting. I have been recording demos in my room. Covered with a Ninja Turtles blanket. haha It's hard to get noticed. But, I want to up my recording game. I have a Mac Studio. I also have Cintiq Pro 32. So, I cannot use it for my needs. We have a cedar closet. Sound proof. It is the perfect place to record my voice. Is there anyway, to use my Studio, without having an actual monitor hooked to it? I have no problem putting a monitor in the place. But, there are so many things I would have to move. It is my mom and stepfather's stuff in there. I was trying to find an easy way to complete my goal.

Mac Pro, macOS 12.6

Posted on Jul 13, 2024 9:59 PM

3 replies

Jul 14, 2024 7:35 AM in response to Glowzinski

Mac notebooks do not have hardware video inputs.

You need to connect at least one real monitor (or HDTV set) to your Mac Studio. Once you have done that, if your MacBook Pro is new enough, you might be able to set it up as an AirPlay Receiver for AirPlay to Mac, and use it as a second screen. (The connection will not be as high-quality as one to a real hardware monitor.)

Continuity features and requirements on Apple devices - Apple Support

Set up your Mac to be an AirPlay Receiver - Apple Support

Jul 14, 2024 6:56 AM in response to Glowzinski

The MacBook Pro does not have any full motion Video inputs.

if all you want is to get a picture and possibly active controls on screen, you can enable Screen Sharing, and the the studio's display to show up in a window on the MacBook. But NOT full speed, full motion. But it is good enough for sound controls, but it will lag, depending on how fast is the network connection. Ethernet works pretty well for most stuff -- Wi-fi, it depends.

One other wonky item you may need is a 'null display' this small device plugs into the HDMI port and tells the Mac Studio it IS a display. but it actually has no outputs. That setup produces a screen buffer in the Mac for you to share over Screen Sharing.

Using Mac studio with a MacBook as the monitor.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.