You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I make my personal Apple TV automations work when I’m away from home?

I have created 20 Personal Automations on my iPad that use the “Remote” app commands to open different streaming apps to change what appears on my mother-in-laws Apple TV during the week, because she is cognitively impaired and cannot learn to navigate a modern device like the Apple TV. The problem I’m having however is that when my iPad is not at home, these Automation cannot run.

I have a second Apple TV in my living room set up as a Home Hub. But when I try to create “Home” Automations in the Home app on my iPhone, the only Apple TV functionality it provides is the ability to play/pause audio on her Apple TV. When I tap the “Applications“ tab in the setup sequence it doesn’t even list “Remote” as an application I can control as a Home Automation - probably because the Remote app does not exist for the Apple TV, and so cannot be automated.

Short of leaving my iPad at home, is there any way of running Automations (Personal or Home) that can do what my iPad can do?

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 17

Posted on Jul 21, 2024 9:31 AM

There are no replies.

How do I make my personal Apple TV automations work when I’m away from home?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.