You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ios 17.5 and/or homepod os broke airplay

i have 13 homepods. 12 in stereo pairs for 6 pairs and one single. i use to be able to play them all in sync with apple music no issue through the whole house. now anything over 6 causes other homepods to crackle or stop producing noise. the ring says its playing. home says its playing and fully connected to wifi but nothing. you uncheck one to drop the number playing from 7 to 6 the other speaker that wasn’t playing just starts playing. you add back another speaker for 7 and crackle until it stops making sound. it appears it doesn’t stop playing the music just doesn’t make any sound period.

i use an apple tv 4k with homepods in a stereo pair as the apple tv speakers. trying to airplay live 4k video from my 14 pro max to the apple tv is a jumbled mess. it plays for a second, then stops and goes back to my phone. then will connect again then just won’t connect. phone says its connected but nothing on screen. if you force close safari then reconnect the live video feed back to the apple tv, it usually will ask if you want to replace whats currently playing. will connect but will randomly stop playing on the apple tv. if i stop using the homepods as the apple tv speakers and use the apple tv with the tv speakers everything works fine.

bogus

22 July 2024 Update:

I finally got this issue fixed by taking an older apple tv 4k and having it directly wired to my network to make it be the apple homekit hub. all my devices are wireless accept my mac mini. well

mac’s can’t be hubs (absolutely dumb) so i figured i try a wired apple tv 4k since a wired apple tv 4k will take priority over any of the wireless apple tv’s or homepods.

Anytime i would wireless play more than 6 homepod pairs, the music would drop out, some devices wouldn’t play and it was random. as soon as i wired in my apple tv 4k and it became the homekit hub, all issues went away. i am currently playing 15 homepods at once for hours with no dropouts. perfect.

i do use a unifi system just fyi.

Posted on Jul 22, 2024 4:27 PM

1 reply

Aug 25, 2024 5:04 PM in response to wolfman_4_ever

And here we are near September 1st an still no resolution to this issue!! i mean whats up apple!! here i am in my small apartment trying to “fill” my house with sound but can’t cause as soon as you get over 6 speakers sharing airplay random speakers stop playing. its freakin ridiculous. the tops are all lit up like they are playing but no sound comes out!! you uncheck one speaker pair and they magically all start working again. you check it again then random speakers stops playing. add in a stereo pair that connected to an apple tv, you might as well forget about playing anything through any speaker without masdive breaking up.

ios 17.5 and/or homepod os broke airplay

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.