You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Problems with incoming calls in Assistive Access

Hi,

I decided to set up Assistive Access on iPhone SE 2022 for my grandmother. It is all-in-all a great mode, but there is one bug I am experiencing that makes the phone almost unusable. When there is an incoming call in the Assistive Access, the screen is bright for a few seconds, then it goes black (unlike with phone calls without any mode turned on, when the screen is bright during the whole duration of the incoming call). When I try to wake up the phone using the side button, the screen wakes up for a second and then goes black. When I press the side for the second time, then I finally have enough time to preform any kind of action, such as accept the call, which is really confusing for my grandma. I tried to replicate this issue on my personal phone, iPhone 15 Pro, and received the same result - when I cannot make it to the phone in the first few seconds, I have to problematically wake up the phone two times using the side button.

Is/was anyone experiencing such problem?

Any help appreciated, thank you in advance!

iPhone SE (2nd generation)

Posted on Aug 1, 2024 12:34 PM

6 replies

Aug 2, 2024 9:19 PM in response to Majkies

Hi Majkies

welcome to the Apple (user-to-user) Community!

Re: "Problems with incoming calls in Assistive Access"

Am no expert in this area, yet your efforts in assisting your Grandmother deserve some response.

Wondering if Apple Support's online article (link below) is of any help"

Make calls with Assistive Access on iPhone - Apple Support

Eg: says:

"Answer a call

To answer an incoming call in Assistive Access, tap Answer. If you don’t want to take the call, tap Don’t Answer, then tap Don’t Answer again to confirm.

If you turn on Show Notification Badges in Settings

> Accessibility > Assistive Access, when the person using Assistive Access misses a call from a contact they’re allowed to call back, the Lock Screen and the Calls app show a notification icon.

See Change Assistive Access settings. "

___________________________________________________________________________________

Re: "When there is an incoming call in the Assistive Access, the screen is bright for a few seconds, then it goes black (unlike with phone calls without any mode turned on, when the screen is bright during the whole duration of the incoming call)".

Wondering if adjusting the screen brightness may help?

Eg: See the "Appearance" settings in the above article.

If more help and support in needed with Assistive Access or other Accessibility features:

You may want to contact Apple's Accessibility Support Team:

How to contact Apple for accessibility support - Apple Support

or

Apple's Accessibility Support Website

(NB: You can "Get Support" from the link at the bottom of their website:)

Accessibility Support - Official Apple Support

or

To provide feedback about an accessibility feature on an Apple product,

you can email the Accessibility team: accessibility@apple.com.

All the best :-)

Aug 3, 2024 12:23 PM in response to brbo

Hi brbo,

thank you very much for the reply and nice greetings!

I tried your proposed solutions, but they sadly did not work :( But I really appreciate the link to contact Apple Support directly via email - I was almost unable to find something like that before. I hope they will be able to think of a solution and my grandmother will be able to use her new iPhone in no time :)

Thanks once again and wish you all the best!

Sep 17, 2024 8:50 AM in response to SailorKat

My response from Apple on this issue. No fix yet.

Date: September 17, 2024 at 6:27:06 AM PDT
To: 
Subject: Re: iPhone SE 2022 - Assistive Access glitch??

Hello,

Thank you for your email. We appreciate you taking the time to provide this feedback, and wanted to let you know that Apple is aware of this issue, and is currently investigating. 

Sincerely,

Apple Accessibility

Problems with incoming calls in Assistive Access

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.