You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trouble connecting to Ext. HD on 2nd Mac

I have a Mac Studio running OS 14.5 in my office and a Mac Mini running OS 14.6 in my living room, mainly as a music server. I have several HDs in a Sabrent 5 bay DAS, attached to the Mac Mini via USB C. The Mac Mini works without any problem.

But... I can not access the the external HDs with the Mac Studio. When I tried to access a 12TB external drive which appears in the network finder window, I get this error message:

"The operation can’t be completed because the original item for “12TB External HD” can’t be found."

I can only get into my particular user. I have no problem sharing the screen and accessing them that way, but I need to access them directly.

When I try the reverse, connecting the Mac-Mini to the Mac Studio, I have no problem accessing the external drives attached to the Mac Studio.

All my sharing settings are the same on both and the User name and passwords are identical. Any ideas?

Mac Studio

Posted on Aug 3, 2024 3:46 PM

6 replies

Aug 3, 2024 6:16 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

if that is what you meant, then we would expect to see the 12 GB drive listed a specific Mac-mini folder:

On the Mac mini:

finder > Go menu > Go to folder

/Volumes

what shows there? real devices or aliases to devices?

when you set up this device, did you initialize the drives with Disk Utility? or are you using some third-party Utilities to set it up?

Aug 3, 2024 4:42 PM in response to abernardi

if your 12 GB presents itself as a stand-alone Item under Network, your Mac would have to speak its Networking protocol directly, and you would need to log in to the 12 GB device with a username it is expecting. That would bypass your Mac mini.

You need the talk to the device that is subservient to the Mac mini. Look inside the Mac mini, and see if there is a 12 GB device there.

Trouble connecting to Ext. HD on 2nd Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.