You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using multiple SSIDs in Congested Radio Environments

I have been struggling in this ecosystem for the past few years. It's becoming difficult to maintain a stable network as my community's radio signals become more crowded. I suspect this is a problem for a lot of you and I'm posting this to gauge the scale.

I live downtown, there are over 70 wifi radios that fluctuate with the wind and cause my network to become unstable.

I live in a 615 sq foot apartment that I rent. I have limits on what I can do. There is a fire station near by and I have a modern wifi 6 router with two Access Points setup for MESH using an ethernet backbone configuration.

I've done the research and I've done as much tuning as I can do with the tools I have, and I continue to have issues with HomeKit automation failing.

HomeKit has become necessary as the apartment I live in is old, its layout is not efficient and I need to have automation to make keeping it cool cheap. When this automation does not work my power bill goes up.

To improve stability I've created multiple SSIDs and isolated devices to specific frequencies, HomePods and Apple TVs are on SSIDS from APs that are closest to them using 5ghz for high throughput. Lights, Plugs and Switches are on 2.4 gHz SSIDS and my iPhone and iPad are on a common SSID that allows for all frequencies as they move around.

HomeKit does not like devices on different SSIDs and I get "miss matched network" and "wifi network" messages on my HomePods after they reboot. I suspect the APs are lagging in translation between radios (Amplifi Alien Wifi 6 routers x 2), I've looped in Amplifi and like all the tech companies they point to each other as the problem for their underdeveloped and poorly tested products.

I'm posting this here to gauge the scale of the problem with the intent of sharing this thread in my Feedback Assistant ticket with apple and with Amplifi in hopes they reach an employee that isn't quiet quitting.

I miss Steve Jobs.

Posted on Aug 15, 2024 11:11 AM

There are no replies.

Using multiple SSIDs in Congested Radio Environments

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.