You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

LG UltraFine 4K display stopped working on Mac mini... for a while

Wondering if anyone else is using an LG UltraFine 4K Display with a (2018) Mac mini?

Reason I ask, a couple of days ago the display suddenly stopped working. No image, no back light; nothing. I tried the usual power cord, USB-C cable stuff to no avail. There are no controls on the display, so nothing to try there. I attached a Dell 4K display to the Mac mini (also via USB-C) with no issues.

I was about to give up, wondering what to do with the darn thing (bought in Nov. of 2020, so almost a year out of warranty). I decide to call LG support (chat) anyway. They asked for the model number and serial number. I had the model number from the original order (from Apple), but no serial number. The agent says that the serial number is on the back of the display, beneath the panel that connects the stand to the display. So I pop that off and get the serial number. The agent wants me to verify that the display is dead, no back light. So I put the stand back on and plug in and reconnect the power and the USB-C cable. Boom! I've suddenly got an Extended display! So I play around a while with it, switching from Extended to Main with no issues. Next step is to reboot the Mac mini and see what happens. If that works, I'll shutdown again and remove the Dell display.

Anyway, weird happenings, maybe. I guess I could have "jiggled" something (yeah, a tech term, that) in the process of removing or replacing the back panel, but the agent did not think so. I guess I should consider myself fortunate; it's a lovely display for my uses. Until next time.

Mac mini, macOS 14.6

Posted on Aug 17, 2024 8:15 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 18, 2024 5:32 AM

It may be counter intuitive, but connectors on cables can fail even if they have only been connected once and left that way for years. The tension in the connectors can slowly weaken and even a tiny bit of corrosion or tarnish can occur. Often the process of unplugging and replugging can fix such issues.

You may want to wiggle the cables at both ends to see if the issue can be recreated and determine if you need a new cable.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 18, 2024 5:32 AM in response to confuciousDayzd

It may be counter intuitive, but connectors on cables can fail even if they have only been connected once and left that way for years. The tension in the connectors can slowly weaken and even a tiny bit of corrosion or tarnish can occur. Often the process of unplugging and replugging can fix such issues.

You may want to wiggle the cables at both ends to see if the issue can be recreated and determine if you need a new cable.

LG UltraFine 4K display stopped working on Mac mini... for a while

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.