You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ethernet port failure

Brand new M2 Mac mini 2023 - ethernet port not working despite various settings.

I thought it was software, connected on wifi and forgot about it.

Ethernet connection via a thunderbolt extender - works perfectly.

Software is up to date.

My second, an identical M2 box works perfectly on the same router Ethernet cable.

All settings copied.

Then the Wifi connection failed too . So I took it in. The local South African agents /resellers - Core group say the ethernet port is faulty. Seems it was when new and I did not realise with a work around.

It is 16 months old. They want 1/2 the value of the machine to fix the issue.

Mac mini, macOS 14.6

Posted on Aug 19, 2024 6:16 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 19, 2024 7:10 PM

Probably not it – but if you bought the optional 10 Gigabit Ethernet upgrade, note that it can't run any slower than 1 Gigabit per second.

If you have a router that only supports Fast Ethernet (100 Mbps) or lower, and you connect it to the built-in Ethernet port on a Mac mini with the 10 Gigabit upgrade, you'll get no signal because there won't be any speed that the Mac and the router have in common.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 19, 2024 7:10 PM in response to robroutier

Probably not it – but if you bought the optional 10 Gigabit Ethernet upgrade, note that it can't run any slower than 1 Gigabit per second.

If you have a router that only supports Fast Ethernet (100 Mbps) or lower, and you connect it to the built-in Ethernet port on a Mac mini with the 10 Gigabit upgrade, you'll get no signal because there won't be any speed that the Mac and the router have in common.

Ethernet port failure

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.