You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

How can I keep my iPhone screen on during calls?

Have a 3rd Generation SE with the latest iOS. It is in assistive access mode for an elderly relative. The phone is the only function in assistive access mode. When receiving a call while the phone is locked the screen lights up with the call and the phone rings but the screen goes blank after a few seconds but phone continues to ring. In order to answer the call we have to touch the home button to wake-up the screen then answer. Is there a way to have the screen stay "awake" continuously while the phone is receiving a call. Can't find anything in settings to fix this. Thanks

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone SE (3rd generation)

Posted on Aug 19, 2024 12:26 PM

3 replies

Sep 1, 2024 9:43 PM in response to 3rdGenSEuser

Hi 3rdGenSEuser

welcome to the Apple (user-to-user) Community!

Re: "How can I keep my iPhone screen on during calls? assistive access mode for an elderly relative"

"Is there a way to have the screen stay "awake" continuously while the phone is receiving a call. Can't find anything in settings to fix this".

The screen goes blank in order to save battery power (eg: especially if no one is going to answer).

The auto-brightness feature may be on, and adjusting your display according to light conditions.

To turn auto-brightness on or off:

1. In the Settings app, tap Accessibility.
  2. Tap Display & Text Size.
  3. Scroll to Auto-Brightness and tap to turn the feature on or off.

_________

"To turn Always-On display off or on, follow these steps:

1. In the Settings app, tap Display & Brightness.
  2. Scroll down to Always On Display and turn Always-On Display off or on".

More info: Adjust the brightness and color temperature on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

______________________________________________________________________________________

Re: "The phone is the only function in assistive access mode. When receiving a call while the phone is locked the screen lights up with the call and the phone rings but the screen goes blank after a few seconds but phone continues to ring."

Apple Support's online article:

Make calls with Assistive Access on iPhone - Apple Support

says: "Answer a call : To answer an incoming call in Assistive Access, tap Answer.

If you don’t want to take the call, tap Don’t Answer, then tap Don’t Answer again to confirm.

If you turn on Show Notification Badges in Settings > Accessibility > Assistive Access, when the person using Assistive Access misses a call from a contact they’re allowed to call back, the Lock Screen and the Calls app show a notification icon. See Change Assistive Access settings."

Re: "In order to answer the call we have to touch the home button to wake-up the screen then answer".

Would it help your elderly relative to use Siri to answer (and / or hang. up) their calls?

Eg: There's a short third-party (non-Apple) video that explains how to set up and use that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haI4KPWnYxQ

_________

Resources:

For iPhone: Assistive Access User Guide - Apple Support : (Eg: see the "Table of Contents")

For support / help with Accessibility features (eg: online chat / phone / email etc.):

Accessibility Support Website: Accessibility Support - Official Apple Support

All the best :-)

Sep 7, 2024 6:25 PM in response to 3rdGenSEuser

Thank you for your efforts, and for your reply. Sorry you have had no success so far.

You may want to contact the experts in Apple's Accessibility Support Team:

How to contact Apple for accessibility support - Apple Support

Else: To provide feedback about an accessibility feature on an Apple product, you can email the Accessibility team (they may not reply, yet your feedback will reach those who are able to make changes if others are having a similar issue) : accessibility@apple.com

Sep 7, 2024 5:06 PM in response to brbo

Thanks for the info but I tried the above without success. The phone works normally when it is NOT in assistive access mode, that is when a call is coming in the screen stays on showing the callers name or number continuously until it stops ringing. When it is in assistive access mode, the phone rings and the name shows up for the first ring or two then the screen goes blank but it still rings. In order to answer the call you have to wake-up the phone by touching the home button then touching the answer "button". There has to be some type of glitch in the system.

How can I keep my iPhone screen on during calls?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.