You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Motion: Drop Zone length based on video input length

Hi! Does anyone know if there is a way to dynamically change a drop zone length in apple motion based on whatever video was used as an input for the drop zone? I am trying to create a video template because I found myself repeating the exact same steps (order of clips, transition clips, overlays, etc. ). I thought about creating a generator in motion, but the only problem is that my clips will not be the same length every time, and I'm not sure if there's a way to get around that in motion. Has anyone gone through the same issue/ has a solution? Thanks

Mac mini, macOS 13.2

Posted on Aug 20, 2024 7:08 PM

3 replies

Aug 21, 2024 10:24 AM in response to amar1patel84

I could be wrong, but I understood your question differently from fox_m.

It seems to me that rather than a Motion template, like a generator, what you are after is more like a "project template", i.e. an easy way to redo the same project with different clips.

This may be best done all inside of FCP.

Let me show you a toy example, and tell me if this describes the sort of situation you have in mind.

Suppose you have a project all worked out like this (again, this is just a toy example, your project is likely way more complex than that, but may have clips, titles, transitions, and effects):

Now you want to do something like that, but use other clips instead of A and B, but keep the transitions (and the effects). Some clip A' may be longer or shorter than A, etc, but the structure of the project is the same.

Is this what you are after?

If it is, there is an easy way to do it all in FCP.

Make a duplicate of the project (or a snapshot of the project, particularly if multicam or compound clips are involved). Keep it in some place, like a dedicated event - say, "Stationery". Every time you want to make a new version, make a snapshot of this one, rename it, and move to the desired event.

Simple version: Now to replace A with A', just... use the replace function! Drag A' over A and choose Replace.

The timing is automatically adjusted, due to the magnetic timeline.

Slightly less simple version: suppose A has several effects applied, and you want to replace A with A' but keeping the same effects. Not difficult: 1) select A, and Copy (command-C); 2) replace, as described above; 3) Command-Shift-V to paste attributes (this will paste all the attributes that you copied in step 1).

Aug 20, 2024 11:09 PM in response to amar1patel84

If you make a one second template with a drop zone, in Final Cut, if you drag out the template for the length of the clip, the entire clip will play. Media will play for however long the template is "live" (provided there is enough media to fill the time length of the template.)

I'm not sure what problems you're experiencing with drop zones. You should be able to build your "video template" and just fill the various drop zones with whatever media you need at the time.

Apple Motion: Drop Zone length based on video input length

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.