You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Classroom - Classes not appearing OR old classes appearing OR students always offline

We are implementing Apple Classroom across campus for the first time....and I have several mysteries to solve.

Our SIS is connected to ASM - verified by looking at the classes listed for each teacher.

Student rosters are indeed changing as life changes in ASM.

Students are all on Managed AppleIDs.

Faculty are all on Managed AppleIDs.

I spent some time cleaning out old classes in ASM before the start of the semester - we had several thousand classes from previous years / previous setups hanging about the database.

• MOST teachers have NO auto-populated classes appearing in Classroom app.
  • A few teachers do.
  • Some teachers have manually created classes and invited the students.... and it worked.
  • Some teachers did that, and the next day those classes disappeared.
  • One teacher logged out of their AppleID yesterday, logged back in, and their classes auto-populated. Today they called it up, and not only were yesterday's classes gone, a new set of classes appeared that do NOT match the set listed in ASM.
  • One teacher CANNOT get the students to be listed as online. She is the only one in that building, so I know it is not the "another class is too close by" problem

It looks like there is a decided disconnect between Teacher iPads and ASM.

Apple docs are ... ahem ... unhelpful when it comes to figuring out why something is not working.

• Although the teachers and students are on different SSIDs and VLANS, all Apple traffic is allowed to flow between them.
  • We have puh-lenty of network bandwidth.
  • Everyone is using recent vintage iPads, and are updated to at least iPadOS 17.5. Most are on 17.6.1

It is the start of school, and will not have time to sit on the phone with Apple Support forever, because this is going to have to be handled at Tier 2 or 3.

So I'm looking for suggestions - what have I forgotten to check or test?

Posted on Aug 21, 2024 6:54 AM

There are no replies.

Apple Classroom - Classes not appearing OR old classes appearing OR students always offline

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.