You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HomeKit Not Working at All

I've been on with Apple support 4 times in the last 6 weeks about these issues without any luck.

Proble 1:

The biggest problem is I'm unable to add any devices most of the time. I scan the code and the HomeKit add recognizes the code, but when I click to add the device, the app spins for a couple minutes then says the device can't be added. I have done this dozens of times with 3 different brands of smart bulbs and 3 different brands of outlets, almost always with the same results. The last set of bulbs and outlets I bought were directly from Apple, but those have the same issue.

Support tried everything but no help.

One day I was suddenly able to add a lightbulb, but not again since then. I deleted the one bulb I could add and can't add any bulbs or outlets since then!

Problem 2:

I simply want to turn a lightbulb on and off at set times. I can set an on time but the only option for turning it off is a set number of hours with the maximum being 4 hours. So, there's no way of having my lamp turn on at 4 pm and having it turn off at 11 pm. I bought bulbs and outlets to avoid using primitive light timers assuming this was the most basic function imaginable. This ommission seems incredibly short-sighted on Apple's part. Nearly every other Apple product and apps I use have more well thought out functions than I can ever use.

If anyone can help me, I'd greatly appreciate it. I've wasted a lot of valuable time on this basic request.

Reagrds,

Paul

Time Capsule

Posted on Aug 22, 2024 10:43 AM

1 reply

Aug 22, 2024 5:50 PM in response to branfordman54

Hey Paul,

When HomeKit starts behaving erratically, one solution is to start from scratch, ie by deleting "My Home" in the Home app. Remove all your devices (if possible) before doing so and reset them before adding them to a new "My Home."

For the 2nd issue, create a home automation to turn on the light at 4:00 PM and another automation to turn it off at 11:00 PM. This is not ideal but it does the job.

HomeKit Not Working at All

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.