You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dual Monitor Windows Resetting | macOS Sonoma 14.6.1

I've been experiencing an issue recently that is causing my dual monitors to reset window locations any time the computer enters an extended period of sleep mode, assuringly when the screens shut down and the computer goes into a deep sleep longer than just a few minutes.

I'm running an M1 Mac Studio with a Studio Display as my main monitor, and an LED Cinema Display to the right as my secondary monitor. I keep my main workspace on the left - Ie: Adobe Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop, etc., for work purposes. I keep my monitor on the right set to my various necessary windows: Finder, Mail, Messages, Notes, Spotify, Etc.

I've found that within the last month or so, I'll come back to my computer the next morning, or, sometimes after going to lunch... longer periods of time, and all of my windows on the right Cinema Display monitor have reset and moved over to the left Studio Display.

This is *infuriating* to have to move all of my windows back over and space them accordingly each and every time. I've contacted Apple support directly and they did a screen share to assist me in making sure I have all of my settings checked correctly. Still, the problem persists.

This does not seem to be a monitor issue. I haven't once experienced any flickering, disconnect, window reorganization, etc., while in the middle of a work flow. It's only when the monitors go to sleep.

I did some research and found that this was an issue previously with other versions of MacOS. Is anyone else experiencing this issue in Sonoma?

For Reference:

• I have checked my spaces settings, ensuring that Settings < Desktop & Dock < Mission Control < Displays have separate spaces is turned on with no other options in this area ticked. That is still not doing the trick.
  • I have checked this issue with a different monitor, as well as a different cable. Problem still persists.

Apple: PLEASE ADVISE. This is driving me insane and has not been fixed in the most recent updates to macOS Sonoma.

Studio Display

Posted on Aug 22, 2024 1:51 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 22, 2024 2:13 PM

When a display is very slow to respond, such as in your case after a non-trivial sleep, the Mac may sometimes decide it is not working.

When a display is not working, its previously-active opened windows will be moved to the nearest edge of one of the remaining working displays. The alternative leaves those windows that were on the now-dead display hopelessly lost and in-accessible.

Now that you know WHY your Mac is behaving this way, there are some work-arounds:

• re-cable your displays so that they are more easily recognizable, such as eliminating docks and intermediary devices.

• stop you Mac from sleeping so quickly, which you now know (in your specific case) will be disastrous.

• shut down your Mac at the end of the day, or close windows when you are finished for the day, to avoid startTing tomorrow repairing the damage from your 'lost' display(s)

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 22, 2024 2:13 PM in response to evan_co

When a display is very slow to respond, such as in your case after a non-trivial sleep, the Mac may sometimes decide it is not working.

When a display is not working, its previously-active opened windows will be moved to the nearest edge of one of the remaining working displays. The alternative leaves those windows that were on the now-dead display hopelessly lost and in-accessible.

Now that you know WHY your Mac is behaving this way, there are some work-arounds:

• re-cable your displays so that they are more easily recognizable, such as eliminating docks and intermediary devices.

• stop you Mac from sleeping so quickly, which you now know (in your specific case) will be disastrous.

• shut down your Mac at the end of the day, or close windows when you are finished for the day, to avoid startTing tomorrow repairing the damage from your 'lost' display(s)

Aug 26, 2024 1:19 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

I wanted to follow up here and report that I believe I have located and fixed the issue, it was not related to any of the instances above.

Over the weekend, I was quitting a couple of apps on my AppleTV when I noticed, for some reason, the "Computers" window was open on my living room system.

I closed that, as well as in my bedroom. I don't ever remember opening either of them, but perhaps one time when I was exploring around a while back and trying to see if there were any interesting screen share settings.

Upon closing that on both AppleTVs, I have not had this issue since.

Hope anyone else experiencing this issue is able to fix easily.

Thanks!

Dual Monitor Windows Resetting | macOS Sonoma 14.6.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.