You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Studio restore from older macOS

I've had a nice long run with a 27" Intel iMac (Late 2015). But it came to an end when suddenly the main drive boot partition kinda went south. The disc utility in the Recovery process could not even find the volume for a reinstall! Luckly I have recent back ups on a Time Machine volume (external drive).

Bit the bullet and ordered a new Mac Studio M2 Max and assume it's coming to me loaded with Sonoma.

Will I be able to do a selective restore from an older OS onto the newer OS? Got loads of photo and music apps and data that I work with.

Will the older Intel apps run in an M2 environment?

Thanks!

Earlier Mac models

Posted on Aug 23, 2024 2:57 PM

5 replies

Aug 23, 2024 5:12 PM in response to wfsharon

wfsharon wrote:

Will the older Intel apps run in an M2 environment?

Many Intel applications will run under Rosetta 2 translation. There will be a delay the first time you run them, while the Mac prepares an ARM machine code translation of the Intel machine code.

Things that won't run:

• 32-bit applications
  • System-level code (kernel extensions)
  • Virtual machine software that creates Intel virtual machines. On Intel-based Macs, Parallels Desktop creates Intel VMs. On Apple-Silicon-based Macs, it creates ARM VMs.

Aug 23, 2024 5:48 PM in response to wfsharon

Apple-Silicon M-series processor Macs:

Apple says every well-behaved ordinary Application, originally written for Intel processors (that does not use Virtualization) will run on Apple-Silicon. It will use Rosetta emulation to translate the Intel binary to M1-binary.

Your Intel Apps will run and not crash while being executed on a completely different processor than the one the developer used. This is a truly remarkable feature.

It runs, and you can get your work done, which is what Apple promised and delivered.

--------

Most cross platform development systems, such as Android simulators, DO use Virtualization instructions, and are not currently working on Apple-Silicon processors.

if the developer is serious about the Apple market, they will already be working on an Apple-Silicon OPTIMIZED version of their App. This version will ultimately contain code for BOTH Intel and Apple-Silicon, packaged up together as a "Universal Binary" and the correct modules for your processor are selected at run-time.

Mac Studio restore from older macOS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.