You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screens dim everytime the computer sleeps (auto-dim turned off)

Hello. I've recently purchased a brand new Mac Studio M2 Ultra and have two LG Ulstrfine Displays (originally from Apple). Everything is up to date, and I'm using all factory-supplied cables.

My problem is that every time I wake my computer up from sleeping, one or both of my monitoirs with be dimmed. What I don't understand about it is that I have auto-dim turned off and when I go into the settings to change the brightness, the slider is already at max. So I have to turn the brightness down to turn it up again. Please watch the attached video for an example.

I'm in need of a solution to this issue. Can anyone provide assistance?

Alternatively, could I somehow bind the keyboard brightness shortcut to both screens?

Currently, the only way to fix both dimmed screens is to go into the settings.

https://youtu.be/n3-KkQqoeSc

Mac Studio, macOS 14.6

Posted on Aug 26, 2024 1:39 PM

9 replies

Aug 29, 2024 12:13 PM in response to m-england

This is the solution I ended up using to solve this strange issue. See, if this were one display it wouldn't be a big deal because you can fix it with the keyboard shortcut. This becomes annoying when you have to go into the settings menu every time for the second display. I found this Reddit thread for an app that lets you control both displays' brightness with the keyboard shortcut.

This is good enough of a solution for me!

Thanks for the ideas, everyone.

Reddit thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/MacOSBeta/comments/11z314h/brightness_adjustment_for_external_monitors/

Aug 27, 2024 9:10 AM in response to BDAqua

It will dim either way if I let the computer fall asleep or if I just put the displays to sleep. I will mention this: there seems to be a time delay needed for this. If I put the display to sleep and immediately wake it up, the brightness stays the same. If I leave it longer, say 2-5 minutes, it will wake up dim. Very strange.

Aug 27, 2024 10:38 AM in response to BDAqua

The USB type C cables that came with the displays. I believe they are 3 feet.

I had one of the displays previously connected to an older 27" iMac with the same setup and It never had this problem. I also have a second Mac Studio with similar but less expensive LG displays, and it never has this issue.

Could this be a fault in the OS from installation? I'm grasping at straws.

It's not a major issue to deal with, but it's kind of a bummer for a new setup.

Screens dim everytime the computer sleeps (auto-dim turned off)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.